I went to him after being screwed by the SeaRay Stealership(can't prove but sure they ran it with no water hooked up)....lost compression in 1 cylinder and their new impeller in the alpha drive was so fried it melted the housing! I only put an hour or so on the boat.
So...my mind starts ticking....why not add some horses. I wanted a reliable,turn key 600 horses. A procharger seemed to be a great option(I did this when the whipples were just starting to catch on).
He had the machineshop/builder he new use some computer to map out a build. Somewhere between the 2 of them there was a major miscommunication. I will never forget the 1st time I heard the engine run....Holy Crap! Every cylinder firing was like a stick of dynamite.
Talking with 1 of the helpers I made the comment about how hard it was hitting for an engine with around 8-1 compression. LOL...he looked at me and said this motor has way more than 8-1...it's got pop=ups in it!
Well we proceed to take the boat out for a lake test. Pops on plane like a wild bangee but won't turn over 3000 RPM's. My guy felt sure it should spin the prop on it but decides to try a smaller pitch prop. Well...the 1st time it went over 3000 it was all she wrote...valves were hitting the pistons. After a little he said she said between my guy and the other shop my guy ate the whole thing. Block,heads,almost everything. My sacrifice was over a year of lost boating.
I have been told with the kindda compression and a 7lb pulley on my Procharger it would probably have been pushing the 1000HP range if it would have stayed together. Yikes!