Old 09-22-2010, 11:36 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamer
if its fun.... You are not in 6s!
This video shows 3 to 4's with an occasional 5'

http://vimeo.com/13814205

Keep it level. Weight in the bow 1st, trim drives in 2nd. If it's still lifting the nose, drop the tabs a bit.

Wear a lifejacket and kill switch.

Have fun!
Old 09-22-2010, 11:44 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 74 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by hotjava66
I always guage by the biggest stuff, so really calll it 4's with an occassional 6. I'm over 6' and if the waves are as tall as me while I'm standing and driving (while in a trough) I call them 6' maybe not best way to judge
That would be 3's.. 3 foot wave+3foot trough=6footers. You are in 3's commen mistake.I here people all the time talk about being in 5,6,7,10,s around Cape Cod. I does happen,but your not going out in it.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:31 PM
Gold Member

Default best advice

my best advice is this,tuck drive all the way in,drop tabs as far as they will go and let herazz eat.lol.....oh yea,hang on.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GLH
In smaller stuff it's like with a hooker (I imagine)... Just plow through it all and don't care about much....

When it gets bigger then it's like with your future wife.... Take it easy, choose the right path be really careful or it can get VERY expensive, VERY dangerous and dare I venture BORDERLINE deadly....

Have fun now!!!!

------haha!!! i believe this is very appropriate for my first post! being engaged, this comment is so true.....
Old 09-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bcfountain
my best advice is this,tuck drive all the way in,drop tabs as far as they will go and let herazz eat.lol.....oh yea,hang on.

easiest way to become a submarine
Old 09-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamer
easiest way to become a submarine
Groton (big sub base) is at the east end of the sound, if he tried it there he'd get torpedoed LOL!!
Old 09-22-2010, 01:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bcfountain
Huh?????????? I'm hoping this is NOT correct!
Old 09-22-2010, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

I enjoy 3-4's in my 28 as well. Completely different boating experience. I usually run hard staying on top until it gets too nasty (tabs up, trimed out). Then when the wife starts hollaring I just tuck the drives in, drop the tabs, and cruise around at 30mph. Its like a rollercoaster.....tons of fun. Even my passengers have a blast pounding through that suff.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

My advice would be zero or a bit of negative trim and tabs as needed to keep the boat flying level. Too much negative trim, bow weight or tabs can lead to a stuff. Trust me, they hurt. So, you need to start out with drives tucked in, then know how much tab to start with, and add or subtract accordingly. As I already said, not enough tab can be almost as dangerous as too much. Finally, never go charging right out. It takes a bit to feel out the conditions and adjust accordingly.

Lots of folks think fling a boat looks sexy – and it does. The problem is that the landings each do a little bit of damage to something. That damage is cumulative – and sometimes doesn’t become apparent until the last straw breaks. Then it’s too late and generally very expensive. Why do you think they sell most race boats after one year?

Something nobody seems to have mentioned is proper use of the throttles. You’d better get used to backing out before you leave a wave and smoothly getting back in as your drives enter the next one. The only way to learn this one is practice though. You can’t read a book and go out and do it right. I’ve gone to a foot throttle and foot trim and would never go back in a sit down boat because it allows me to have two hands on the wheel. In stand up bolsters, positioning of your body is everything.

Finally, safety, safety, safety. Never go crushing waves without a PFD and your kill switch on. A helmet isn’t a bad idea either. My personal opinion is that I don’t like putting others at risk when I’m running hard, so I run alone in the boat. Your call here. Lots of innocent passengers have been hurt or killed because they weren’t paying attention.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:45 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
My advice would be zero or a bit of negative trim and tabs as needed to keep the boat flying level. Too much negative trim, bow weight or tabs can lead to a stuff. Trust me, they hurt. So, you need to start out with drives tucked in, then know how much tab to start with, and add or subtract accordingly. As I already said, not enough tab can be almost as dangerous as too much. Finally, never go charging right out. It takes a bit to feel out the conditions and adjust accordingly.

Lots of folks think fling a boat looks sexy – and it does. The problem is that the landings each do a little bit of damage to something. That damage is cumulative – and sometimes doesn’t become apparent until the last straw breaks. Then it’s too late and generally very expensive. Why do you think they sell most race boats after one year?

Something nobody seems to have mentioned is proper use of the throttles. You’d better get used to backing out before you leave a wave and smoothly getting back in as your drives enter the next one. The only way to learn this one is practice though. You can’t read a book and go out and do it right. I’ve gone to a foot throttle and foot trim and would never go back in a sit down boat because it allows me to have two hands on the wheel. In stand up bolsters, positioning of your body is everything.

Finally, safety, safety, safety. Never go crushing waves without a PFD and your kill switch on. A helmet isn’t a bad idea either. My personal opinion is that I don’t like putting others at risk when I’m running hard, so I run alone in the boat. Your call here. Lots of innocent passengers have been hurt or killed because they weren’t paying attention.
thanks, I know about throttling and try to be very careful there. always wear the kill switch and pfd. just watched the video posted above and the stuff i ran in yesterday is much steeper/closer/bigger than that. cool vid though, must be ocean swells, we rarely see that kind of long wave spacing on the great lakes. i wanted to take some video yesterday but was having too much fun and forgot. running head into or quartering into I run a bit of trim and neutral tab, running with the wind some tab and a little less trim seems to work. my 2 problems seem to be a.coming up a steep face and dropping into a hole on the other side or b. coming off the first wave in a set and almost stuffing the next, had a couple near stuffs where the bow clipped about a foot below the top of the wave and I took a facefull(ouch). when it gets too big i run quartering into and away and zig zag where im going

Last edited by hotjava66; 09-22-2010 at 02:54 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.