Running big water in a smaller boat, any tips

Notices

Running big water in a smaller boat, any tips

Old 09-22-2010, 02:59 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by bcfountain
my best advice is this,tuck drive all the way in,drop tabs as far as they will go and let herazz eat.lol.....oh yea,hang on.
Better hang on because you're gonna stuff the bow and have that wave smacking you right in the face.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hotjava66
thanks, I know about throttling and try to be very careful there. always wear the kill switch and pfd. just watched the video posted above and the stuff i ran in yesterday is much steeper/closer/bigger than that. cool vid though, must be ocean swells, we rarely see that kind of long wave spacing on the great lakes. i wanted to take some video yesterday but was having too much fun and forgot. running head into or quartering into I run a bit of trim and neutral tab, running with the wind some tab and a little less trim seems to work. my 2 problems seem to be a.coming up a steep face and dropping into a hole on the other side or b. coming off the first wave in a set and almost stuffing the next, had a couple near stuffs where the bow clipped about a foot below the top of the wave and I took a facefull(ouch). when it gets too big i run quartering into and away and zig zag where im going
Gotta be careful..... Conditions change very fast. Here's a video of me running in the inlet. Notice the bow doesn't pop up until I hit a big roller and I'd consider that roller only a 4'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN7n5FdwMGA
Old 09-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Gold Member

ok guys and grils,i was just jokeing,i guess the lol at the end of the statement you looked over or just did not understand.lol=laughing out loud,or should i have wrote,lollollollollollollollollollollollol,i am laughing out loud now and do not take this statement as the truth........hows that now?everyone understand now?
Old 09-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mastercraft240
Gotta be careful..... Conditions change very fast. Here's a video of me running in the inlet. Notice the bow doesn't pop up until I hit a big roller and I'd consider that roller only a 4'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN7n5FdwMGA
sweet run, honestly though, i wish I had some video, with all due respect that stuff is pretty mild compared to what we see here. and yes, i would call that roller a 4 footer too, yesterdays stuff i ran in was much bigger, way steeper, and much closer. out of the influence of shore, i could barely run on plane, any faster would be disasterous. running straight into them would be repeated drops and stuffs. seriously, it is what it is, not trying to be macho or be better than anyone, just looking for some advice, though there is no substitute for just doing it and learning.

Last edited by hotjava66; 09-22-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

the great lakes water and waves are way diffrent from the ocean stuff there is just no comparing the two.I have boated lake Erie for fourty years and it gets evil it can go from dead calm to honest 4s in ten minutes.when the coast gaurd calls for 4 to 6s we stay home and all are boats are 30+........have fun be safe and allways wear your teather kill switch
Old 09-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hotjava66
sweet run, honestly though, i wish I had some video, with all due respect that stuff is pretty mild compared to what we see here. and yes, i would call that roller a 4 footer too, yesterdays stuff i ran in was much bigger, way steeper, and much closer. out of the influence of shore, i could barely run on plane, any faster would be disasterous. running straight into them would be repeated drops and stuffs. seriously, it is what it is, not trying to be macho or be better than anyone, just looking for some advice, though there is no substitute for just doing it and learning.
Its not macho . Fact is, unless your a professional throttleman or racing, you're not running through 5's in a 28 foot boat. Period. You can cruise, around 40, but in no way running 60,70, or 80mph. Just be safe out there. In those waters, like someone else metioned, **** breaks and **** can happen. Safe Boating, Enjoy!!!
Old 09-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went out testing a few weeks ago during Earl. They said it was 3-5's on the LI Sound with 30 mph winds. Running in it wasn't half as bad as limping home at 5mph when the steering crapped out.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:28 PM
Registered

To any who have not run in the great lakes ...you just won't understand.

On the vids below NOAA.gov (under the nearshore forcast) said 3-5's. A few boats in the run were 28 and under and ran the whole thing at pretty decent speeds.

41' saber
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og3-FIMjB7k

What happens if you follow bcfountain's joking advice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw2zB7ElwRs

hotjava66,
next time post the noaa forcast or what the bouy's say for the day before you go out.

"coming up a steep face and dropping into a hole on the other side or b. coming off the first wave in a set and almost stuffing the next, had a couple near stuffs where the bow clipped about a foot below the top of the wave and I took a facefull"
Our size boats will always want to clip the the top of the next wave since they are not long enough to span them completely. Or you may be letting of the throttle a little to soon and losing momentum. might try just a touch less trim in or tabs.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mastercraft240
Its not macho . Fact is, unless your a professional throttleman or racing, you're not running through 5's in a 28 foot boat. Period. You can cruise, around 40, but in no way running 60,70, or 80mph. Just be safe out there. In those waters, like someone else metioned, **** breaks and **** can happen. Safe Boating, Enjoy!!!
thats what I was saying, in the big stuff just playing around at 30 or so. I couldnt even imagine trying to run hard, you would kill yourself quickly. I couldnt even imagine stuffing into a 6' face at high speed, dont want to find out either.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:28 PM
Registered

just checked the closest bouy, wave hights for yesterday at that time 4.2-5.74 feet at 6 sec. intervals, were at 5.7-7.74 earlier in the day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.