Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What Are Main Differences? Cig, Nor Outer... >

What Are Main Differences? Cig, Nor Outer...

Notices

What Are Main Differences? Cig, Nor Outer...

Old 10-01-2010, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 883 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by omerta one
What I'm getting at is you keep saying the Cig is sooo overpriced; so tell me what you'd have to pay for a new 39/700 NT...what's the difference in cost between the 39Cig, the 39NT and the OL41???
Hey this is America, make all the money you want building boats. What I have against Cig is the lack of updating and a sh!tter box in the middle of the cabin. Line up a 1988 Top Gun and a 2011 Top Gun and very few folks could outline any difference. I love Porsche 911's which by definition are a slow evolution but atleast they get improved with age.

I think a lot of boats are overpriced, (OL being one) but if you have the performance to back up the price then ask for all the money!
Old 10-01-2010, 11:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Hey this is America, make all the money you want building boats. What I have against Cig is the lack of updating and a sh!tter box in the middle of the cabin. Line up a 1988 Top Gun and a 2011 Top Gun and very few folks could outline any difference. I love Porsche 911's which by definition are a slow evolution but atleast they get improved with age.

I think a lot of boats are overpriced, (OL being one) but if you have the performance to back up the price then ask for all the money!
Ok, I got it. Wow, it really all comes down to the porta potty? no updates?? Poor performance??? I give. UNCLE: UNCLE: UNCLE.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:23 AM
Registered

Received 883 Likes on 479 Posts

Ok, I got it. Wow, it really all comes down to the porta potty? no updates?? Poor performance??? I give. UNCLE: UNCLE: UNCLE.

Cig goes overboard on logos, #1 in that category. Straight line performance is excellent, turning needs a little fine tuning. Other builders are installing generators, a/c and upgraded cabins, Cig has the trusty Igloo cooler and spacious covergirl cabin. Have you ever seen the cooler on a 43/50Nortech? It is built in on the port wall, looks like a cabinet vs igloo and drains overboard. It is placed directly across from the enclosed head (that rivals the size of some NYC apartments) and the cooler probably holds 3X what the Cig igloo cooler does.

Igloo coolers, explosed hinge hatches belong on boats like a 25K Whaler not a 500K Cigarette. Cig is stuck in 1988. Not to pick on Cig solely, Fountain was stuck there too until they re-did their boats in 07-08.

PM203 says it best, not too many folks want to pay 500K for an 8ft beam boat you don't live aboard. So instead of new billet seat bases, Skip should hire some outside talent to freshen the cabin and potentially attract some new buyers or better yet bring back some buyers that have switched to other brands.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:42 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Not sure what you are asking....MSRP? I suspect they are all 350-400K boats @ 39 ft/700's at a minimum.

I have said it before, if I was building a new 400-500K boat Terry from NT would get the call. I love the 427 and think that is a much better looking boat than the 39V but with the right paint the 39 can be a decent looking boat (Stu @ FPC had the best looking 39 so far).
I agree. That 427 is one nice looking boat.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Cig goes overboard on logos, #1 in that category. Straight line performance is excellent, turning needs a little fine tuning. Other builders are installing generators, a/c and upgraded cabins, Cig has the trusty Igloo cooler and spacious covergirl cabin. Have you ever seen the cooler on a 43/50Nortech? It is built in on the port wall, looks like a cabinet vs igloo and drains overboard. It is placed directly across from the enclosed head (that rivals the size of some NYC apartments) and the cooler probably holds 3X what the Cig igloo cooler does.
Igloo coolers, explosed hinge hatches belong on boats like a 25K Whaler not a 500K Cigarette. Cig is stuck in 1988. Not to pick on Cig solely, Fountain was stuck there too until they re-did their boats in 07-08.
PM203 says it best, not too many folks want to pay 500K for an 8ft
beam boat you don't live aboard. So
instead of new billet seat bases, Skip
should hire some outside talent to
freshen the cabin and potentially attract
some new buyers or better yet bring
back some buyers that have switched to
other brands.
I was on my friends 39 running along side a skater a few years back when a jet ski cut across our path. Both boats were at high speeds. The 39 turned as if it were on rails!!! Just my experience

Last edited by cowisl; 10-02-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like the way that the cockpit is laid out on a new Cig, they do a great job. Although I would be a little concerned about somebody getting impaled on one of those gunwale grab handles, that design just makes no sense.

For me, I would have a hard time getting over the lack of a useable cabin in a Cig. The OL cabin is very luxurious, and for the kind of coin one of these boats cost that is what I want.

OL started building the 37 in 1993 and built it for like 8 years- to compare apples to apples you would have to look at the OL 37 vs. a mid 90's straight bottom 38 gun or an early design twin-step from 2000. Like I said, in my opinion theres is no contest. To compare the OL 37 to a 39 gun with 700's makes no sense.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Not everybody buys a boat for accomodations. There are plenty of 40 foot plus boats with not even a porti potti . What you are missing Jupiter is that people buy the Cig for the name, quality of build, looks and because it is their dream. As nice as Nortech's are, how many young kids dream about them? And, you said earlier that the 39 Topgun was best overall in its class. If you want a nicer cooler, Cig will build it for you. If you want a condo on the water, you are looking at the wrong boat. I personally don't like the Nortech dashes. It doesn't mean that the boat is bad, they just don't appeal to me. But, it might appeal to someone else, and obviously it does, because they are selling boats. But so is Cigarette, and Ol and so on. So, buy what you like, but don't hate Cig because of your deep rooted issues.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:39 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pm203
Not everybody buys a boat for accomodations. There are plenty of 40 foot plus boats with not even a porti potti . What you are missing Jupiter is that people buy the Cig for the name, quality of build, looks and because it is their dream. As nice as Nortech's are, how many young kids dream about them? And, you said earlier that the 39 Topgun was best overall in its class. If you want a nicer cooler, Cig will build it for you. If you want a condo on the water, you are looking at the wrong boat. I personally don't like the Nortech dashes. It doesn't mean that the boat is bad, they just don't appeal to me. But, it might appeal to someone else, and obviously it does, because they are selling boats. But so is Cigarette, and Ol and so on. So, buy what you like, but don't hate Cig because of your deep rooted issues.
Ding, Ding, Ding we have a winner here. I left out the bed to put in an enclosed storage area and space for the head that in three years has never even been sat on. Last thing I want is a generator and a/c in the cabin; or a tv that's just going to break. Some buyers do and Cig will build the boat that way if thats what you want. As for the cooler its built-in on the the 39 but all I end up doing is putting a soft side inside the built-in. I think the portability makes more sense because when I'm done boating for the day I want to take my cold ones with me. Last pic shows the cooler (old OSO boat).
Attached Thumbnails What Are Main Differences? Cig, Nor Outer...-p1020361.jpg   What Are Main Differences? Cig, Nor Outer...-p1020364.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by omerta one; 10-02-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ding, Ding, Ding we have a winner here. I left out the bed to put in an enclosed storage area and space for the head that in three years has never even been sat on. Last thing I want is a generator and a/c in the cabin; or a tv that's just going to break. Some buyers do and Cig will build the boat that way if thats what you want. As for the cooler its built-in on the the 39 but all I end up doing is putting a soft side inside the built-in. I think the portability makes more sense because when I'm done boating for the day I want to take my cold ones with me. Last pic shows the cooler (old OSO boat).
But Dude, where can Connie & I sleep in that!!!!! & where do I put George?
Old 10-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The difference is you don't see the Cig guys calling out the other brands; it's always the other way around...so why do you think that is???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.