SHOGREN Performance Marine Winterization Tips >

SHOGREN Performance Marine Winterization Tips

Notices

SHOGREN Performance Marine Winterization Tips

Old 09-27-2010, 02:26 PM
Administrators

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SHOGREN Performance Marine Winterization Tips

Sadly, it is the time of year for much of the country when performance boaters start the dreaded task of getting their boats ready for winter storage. Whether a boat is professionally winterized or the owner is a do-it-yourselfer, the award-winning service department at Shogren Performance Marine offers some helpful tips to get the most out of the process.
“Winterization not only protects a boat and engine from freeze damage, it also protects against long periods of sitting unused,” says Scott Shogren of Shogren Performance Marine, adding “It also makes for less prep time in the spring when you’re ready to get back on the water!”

Fuel Level :
Should be half to three-quarters full prior to winterization. This allows the correct amount of fuel stabilizer to be added and run through the entire fuel system as part of the process.

Fluids & Filters:
Both engine and drive gear oil and filters should be changed. Fresh fluids are always preferred for long-term storage. Water/ fuel separator filters should also be changed.

Flushing:
Engines should be flushed with a non-toxic antifreeze prior to winter storage to protect against any residual water that is left in the engine. The antifreeze has non-corrosive properties to help prevent against rust forming within the engine.

Batteries:
Fill the fluid levels in the batteries – if applicable – and have them fully charged with no draw before storage. Doing so allows batteries to remain in the boat all winter long and will be ready in the spring time with just a quick “top-off” charge.

ShrinkWrap:
Shrink Wrap is mandatory for outdoor storage to protect against the elements, but boats stored in unheated outbuildings should also be shrink wrapped to prevent rodents and other critters from making a warm winter’s nest.
“Don’t forget the freshwater system, head, air conditioner, hot water heater, shower sump and generator!” Shogren reminds owners, “They may have special winterization requirements to prevent damage” he adds.
In addition to winterization and other service, Shogren Performance Marine provides indoor, heated storage as well as boat transport to and from its facilities, a winter boating destination, or anywhere else an owner may need a boat to be moved. The service department at Shogren Performance Marine consistently finishes in the top tier of the Customer Satisfaction Index (as measured by Mercury Marine) and has the experience to handle any boat and motor combination.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 213 Likes on 110 Posts

I dont know about the fuel level tip,might be a old list
Old 09-27-2010, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boatnt
I dont know about the fuel level tip,might be a old list
Please educate.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:06 PM
Registered

Think he might be refering to today's ethanol fuels....you don't want that stuff sitting around too long.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:33 PM
Registered

Run mine to almost empty with stabil and startron added at the last fillup.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:23 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by twinzilla
Think he might be refering to today's ethanol fuels....you don't want that stuff sitting around too long.
+1 ,,,,its also a sponge for water

Tanks better off empty,,,, you may get condensation in the tank that way, but it is the lesser of two evils these days.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 260 Likes on 92 Posts

I agree with shogren. Stabalizer in the 3/4 tank of fuel. Not a lot of room for condensation but enough room left to mix in a 1/4 tank of fresh fuel in the spring.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
I agree with shogren. Stabalizer in the 3/4 tank of fuel. Not a lot of room for condensation but enough room left to mix in a 1/4 tank of fresh fuel in the spring.

150 gallon tank 3/4 full 112 gallons that sit 6-7 months in boat octane goes from 91 to 80 with water in it and in the spring running 112 gallons of wiesel fuel through a 500 + HP motor I can see problems waiting to happen with the shi$$y fuel in it . No way would i do it runem empty and put 150 fresh gallons in it in the spring.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by wellcrafted
150 gallon tank 3/4 full 112 gallons that sit 6-7 months in boat octane goes from 91 to 80 with water in it and in the spring running 112 gallons of wiesel fuel through a 500 + HP motor I can see problems waiting to happen with the shi$$y fuel in it . No way would i do it runem empty and put 150 fresh gallons in it in the spring.
I am dealing with these problems right now..... I agree!

I just bought a boat with 100 gallons of old fuel. put 100 of new fuel and alot of octane boost and still have problems.

My plan is to run it to close to empty, stablize it then dump some fresh fuel in come spring.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:54 AM
Registered

empty for me, whatever is left in there come spring is getting sucked out, i am not running cat piss through my engine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.