Notices

so many boats for sale

Old 09-28-2010, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so many boats for sale

why does it seem to me that there is alot of certain manufacturer boats for sale in classified, like, fountain,mti,scarab,and a few others. not knocking anyone just a observation with a curiousty.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:39 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Some brands are just because there were a lot of them made.
Some of the very high end boats go up for sale shortly after they a built. The people who buy them have the cash and are looking toward the next boat. There is also a big difference between being for sale and being priced to sell.
Actually the number of boats in the OSO classifieds is down a lot from what it was 2 years ago. There used to be 1000-1200 boats listed most of the time.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed... Way more Fountains have been produced than Powerplay's.

I think a lot of folks buy these insane cats, etc and either realize they're a lot more involved than a 32' Sea Ray, or simply have been effected by the economy and are so far upside down that they have to list them at crazy high prices. And lets be honest, if you car afford $500k for a three year old MTI, you'll probably want to anti up a few more dollars and build a brand new one to your own specs...

I fully agree regarding the comment about some sellers price their boats to sell, others are just fishing for top dollar and dont care if they sell. Then there are even a few that are such prestigious sellers that they dont want to even give a price out...
Old 09-29-2010, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fkboatman
why does it seem to me that there is alot of certain manufacturer boats for sale in classified, like, fountain,mti,scarab,and a few others. not knocking anyone just a observation with a curiousty.
Some brands are easier to finance as in the dealers who sell them were hooked in with quick easy plans a few years ago. Now that the economy has gone south, those guys who found it so easy to get into a boat are finding it hard to get out.. Those easy plans required little down. With little or no equity in the boat and a depreciating market, many of these guys have to get their price to satisfy the huge notes they took out.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Fountain/Scarab - Tons have been made and it is a numbers game.

MTI - Lots of big money players in this brand who have boats for sale the minute they buy them because they are always thinking about the next move.

One day I hope to be in the latter category.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:17 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Ya, sometimes it is somebody with a ton of money and they are thinking of their next boat, but usually it's not. It's somebody with excellent credit and a little bit of money. Everyday you see people with a $1.2 million house and a $450,000 boat, with a household income of $165,000 per year. Are you kidding me ? That person has no intentions of ever paying off that boat, hold on as long as possible and hope you can find some sucker to take it off your hands for what you owe on it, or just keep burying yourself deeper by trading it in. I'm pretty sure when someone takes a 20 year loan on a boat, that they don't really plan on keeping it for 20 years. Hell, I couldn't even tell you what I want next month, much less in 20 years. I would say that certain people "lease" boats, you know, never paying them off and getting a new one every couple of years, hoping it never catches up with them ( It usually does )
Old 09-30-2010, 11:11 AM
Registered

Well, might be because to give buyers options to choice. Choice from the most expensive to a lower price...
Old 09-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by frankenstein
Ya, sometimes it is somebody with a ton of money and they are thinking of their next boat, but usually it's not. It's somebody with excellent credit and a little bit of money. Everyday you see people with a $1.2 million house and a $450,000 boat, with a household income of $165,000 per year. Are you kidding me ? That person has no intentions of ever paying off that boat, hold on as long as possible and hope you can find some sucker to take it off your hands for what you owe on it, or just keep burying yourself deeper by trading it in. I'm pretty sure when someone takes a 20 year loan on a boat, that they don't really plan on keeping it for 20 years. Hell, I couldn't even tell you what I want next month, much less in 20 years. I would say that certain people "lease" boats, you know, never paying them off and getting a new one every couple of years, hoping it never catches up with them ( It usually does )
I cant remember the last time a MTI customer financed their boat.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

99% of people never plan on paying off their boat. The secret is not ever getting upside down on them.

People buying the very high end performance boats are not taking out boat loans on them. They don't need to.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Must be nice!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.