Long Is Sound last Saturday afternoon

Notices

Long Is Sound last Saturday afternoon

Old 09-29-2010, 11:17 AM
rjr
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Long Is Sound last Saturday afternoon

My 382 was probably the slowest and nearly the only powerboat boat out there Saturday afternoon. Sea's were 3's an occasional 5. I trimmed 3 down backed off to 30 MPH and had a fairly soft ride. My Granddaughter was asleep in the back seat so I wasn't going to get crazy but I couldn't help but wonder what the ride would have been like at 50 - 60. One of you guys must know.

P.S. I am the slowest guy on the highway too.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 201 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by rjr
My 382 was probably the slowest and nearly the only powerboat boat out there Saturday afternoon. Sea's were 3's an occasional 5. I trimmed 3 down backed off to 30 MPH and had a fairly soft ride. My Granddaughter was asleep in the back seat so I wasn't going to get crazy but I couldn't help but wonder what the ride would have been like at 50 - 60. One of you guys must know.

Sometimes, it is a softer ride if you go a little faster. At slower speeds, the boat falls off some waves or between them....at just a bit quicker speed, it skips over the tops and the bottom can really work as it was designed to do.

I share your concern, when I take my grandson out, his comfort is first priority.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:56 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Sometimes, it is a softer ride if you go a little faster. At slower speeds, the boat falls off some waves or between them....at just a bit quicker speed, it skips over the tops and the bottom can really work as it was designed to do.
My thoughts too...after 35 years on the Sound I generally find the waves are compressed a bit and closer than larger bodies of water, of course that also means that they are steep and hard hitting. In the end it's what you're comfortable with, no sense in beating the crap out of your passengers and equipment.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Where on the sound were you? It was a about 2-3 with maybe an occaisional 4 from Hempstead harbor to Bridgeport. CT. We had a poker run that day and we ran 75-80 both ways no problem . 37 OL .
Old 09-29-2010, 01:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rjr

Please, please, stay out of the left lane!!!
Old 09-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was out all day around the Clinton / OS area, I only saw 2-3's.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SS930
I was out all day around the Clinton / OS area, I only saw 2-3's.
Later in the day around 5pm they were bigger than that outside Saybrook.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm
Later in the day around 5pm they were bigger than that outside Saybrook.
I'm not so sure about that... I was following you down the river at that time (from Hamburg cove) and then headed to Clinton, they might have been 3' at the mouth of the river, but certainly smaller than that from there down to Clinton... 1-2's past the mouth of the river down to Clinton.

BTW, was going to say hello, but your fin was too damn loud to try yelling over! Maybe next time...
Old 09-29-2010, 02:36 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SS930
I'm not so sure about that... I was following you down the river at that time (from Hamburg cove) and then headed to Clinton, they might have been 3' at the mouth of the river, but certainly smaller than that from there down to Clinton... 1-2's past the mouth of the river down to Clinton.

BTW, was going to say hello, but your fin was too damn loud to try yelling over! Maybe next time...
what boat were you in?? The Christ Craft Launch? We were in the sound before we went up river. Im sure it layed down a bit an hour+ later but they were 4's where it is shallow outside saybrook ran east a little and it was 3's then decided to run up river to get some hard runs in.

Last edited by OL40SVX; 09-29-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:01 PM
rjr
Registered

I was going from the gut to Saybrook around 3:00. My eyeball could need calibrating, but some of the troughs looked deeper than my boat is tall. Uconn has a website http://www.mysound.uconn.edu/clis_wave.html that shows real time wave action of the sound buoys. When I got home I tried to find some history to check my eyes but there didn't seem to be any. It's an interesting site

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.