Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
had a run in with Johnny Law today >

had a run in with Johnny Law today

Notices

had a run in with Johnny Law today

Old 10-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This why I always hire a good attorney and somehow it goes away. I don't ask questions that, I really don't want the answers to.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Neg.

Flares are ONLY required offshore. Not that its a bad idea to carry them on board reguardless.
Yup, correct USCG reg. Most states (including NY) have made it to say that you have to have them on any water if boating at night. and that if its day time, you have to have something like the orange distress flag if you don't have flares/orange smoke
Old 10-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=sixmassive;3220565]
He asks my profession, i say "im a professional mariner"
"charter captain?" (he ASSumes because i am 25 years old)
"no i work in the oil feild, i have a master unlmited license"
"what size master? 50 ton?"
"i have an unlimited license."
i then hand him my USCG Masters any gross tons apon oceans, and tell him again i work in the oil feild and have an unlimited masters license. and say "as best as my knowledge serves me, within 3 miles or inland, a vessel my size is not required to have flares and that a coast guard approved cushion is adequate for throwable life saving device.
"I'll let you slide on that one this time because you seem responsible" he says

QUOTE]

I am not trying to be a dick, but at 25, how did you get a unlimited masters? I know that gulf days equall 1 and half days of sea time. That is just alot of sea time and sea school, or did you goto a maritime academy?
Old 10-01-2010, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had to have gone to a maritime academy. Probably graduated in 2007 based on his age. I am 25 also and graduated from Kings Point in 2007. However I have never met a 25 year old with an Unlimited Master. I have plenty of time for my Chief Mate, however havent taken the classes for it. I work in the oil field also.

I dont doubt that it can be done, however it is unusual if you graduated at a normal age, not like 18 or something. It takes a solid three years to get to Master from 3rd Mate, and that is working 28/14. 28/28 would take 4 years, and both need an entire year of sea time as Chief Mate. Lets just say it isnt done that quickly very often.

What company do you work for? A PM is fine.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:36 PM
JnT
Registered

Unlimited Master is an impressive ticket indeed ! I worked for Seacor,Ensco, and Tidewater a few years back. Really miss the time off.
I never let on that I have any license or mmd credentials around here. Always scared I'll get nailed by a pwc and get sued. To me it makes you a target.
Go to court and let the judge decide. You will win.
Jim
Old 10-01-2010, 11:18 PM
Registered

graduated early winter 06, worked for otto candies and now helix. Day and a half 28/14 for a while, now 28/28. just got my ticket last month. worst. test. ever. glad i'm done though, unless i get a pilot gig
Old 10-01-2010, 11:21 PM
Registered

the ticket is 90 bucks. not worth my time to fight it, and wont be on any record
Old 10-01-2010, 11:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sixmassive
graduated early winter 06, worked for otto candies and now helix. Day and a half 28/14 for a while, now 28/28. just got my ticket last month. worst. test. ever. glad i'm done though, unless i get a pilot gig
What Helix boat are you running? Candies had a couple nice setups, the one that comes to mind was the agnus candies.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:56 PM
Registered

im on the Q as a 3rd. just started with them in January.

The agnus candies, that is a old boat. i cant remember if that went to brazil or was renamed to a DMT boat.

who do you work for
Old 10-02-2010, 01:03 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
good point about the fees involved when going the cc to fight a ticket, Ian got stopped on his motorcyle, he went to court and they reduced the speeding ticket to reckless driving but that cost $75.00 more than the speeding ticket, but no points went on his license. I think the township has scam going, no one wants points so the cop encourages you to go to court and then you are surprised when you pay about $75.00 but more money for the township.

Typing this I just remembered that last week I was in upstate NY for bs and got a ticket for driving while on a cell phone (unlike MI in NY you have to talk hands free) The odd things is the cop said there is no set $$ amount, I have to mail the ticket in, then they send me back a bill and the price varies. I am not sure if I can ignore it since I really don't drive in NY much, but I will have to find out if they are connected into the MI system.
If you ignore it, NY will suspend your driving privelages in NY and then send the info to MI and they will most likely suspend your license as well. Then you will have to pay the original ticket and reinstatement fees in both states.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.