Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Unbiased opinions needed on engine build.. >

Unbiased opinions needed on engine build..

Notices

Unbiased opinions needed on engine build..

Old 09-21-2010, 01:10 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unbiased opinions needed on engine build..

I had a boat come to my shop that needed EFI tuning.. Another shop built the engine and has been struggling with it for almost a year. At first glance I became nervous when I saw the oil lines to the cooler were on regular brass hose barbs with clamps, not pushlock, and the fuel supply was only 1/4"... Sooo, I dug a little deeper and it got worse and worse. The owner has lost all confidance in the builder and the builder insists all it needs is tuning and I'm trying to rip him off. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this board and perhaps some of your input and constructive critisism would be helpful. The builder wants more money for all the time he spent trying to make this thing run..

Here's the build - 454mpi, M1 procharger.
Here's what I found - Eagle cast stroker crank, the smallest Comp cams hydraulic roller marine cam, Non adjustable valve train with .030" washers under the stud bolts, pistons are .016" down the hole with .053" thick 502 head gaskets with a 4.610 bore. Half the valve springs are installed upside down and the heads are 100cc Vortec's with the big point in the middle of the chamber. 30lb injectors.
Attached Thumbnails Unbiased opinions needed on engine build..-4961.jpg   Unbiased opinions needed on engine build..-4962.jpg   Unbiased opinions needed on engine build..-4963.jpg  

Unbiased opinions needed on engine build..-4964.jpg   Unbiased opinions needed on engine build..-4965.jpg  
Old 09-21-2010, 01:11 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

couple more
Attached Thumbnails Unbiased opinions needed on engine build..-496.jpg   Unbiased opinions needed on engine build..-4966.jpg   Unbiased opinions needed on engine build..-4967.jpg  

Old 09-21-2010, 02:21 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like amateur hour. I should know, I am one. But I'm not that bad.

The questions are:
what did the original shop bill him for?
Was it itemized?
are all the parts billed for there?
was there an estimate or quote?
signed work order?

You have probably found enough to discourage the other shop from going after more money.

Now you need to prepare an estimate to make it right.

Take lots of pictures which you already seem to be doing.

Good luck.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:31 PM
Registered

I would think the problem lies with the 1/4" fuel line(I think mine has 1/2" lines). Better hope it wasn't run hard and lean.

PS I have a carbed M1 SC 454. The most stressed issue is make sure the fuel system can handle the volumne needed. 1/4 " fuel line will not cut it.

I believe if the procharger was put on without the supporting fuel system upgrades(also think computer reprograming) that it's a bomb waiting to happen. I'll bet that motor is running really lean under boost.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:37 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
The builder wants more money for all the time he spent trying to make this thing run..
screw that! so the builder wants the customer pay for him to learn his friggin job? With those fuel and oil lines its pretty clear he has no idea what he's doing along with everything else.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 09-21-2010, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cast crank in a blown mnotor and there is need for ANY further questioons from the customer?????????????????????

Tell him to get his lawyer ready and quote the complete job to make it right.

He got screwed plain and simple.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Airpacker
cast crank in a blown mnotor and there is need for ANY further questioons from the customer?????????????????????

YES YES YES!!!
Old 09-21-2010, 03:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Airpacker

Actually Procharger markets(or did) a lower boost set up for the 454MPI if I'm not mistaken.

Just looked at all the pics.....definately running super lean!
Old 09-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Luckily it's only run for 10 or 15 minutes so far, otherwise it would have burnt down for sure. I think it will be good for the customer and the builder to hear the exact things I have been saying coming from other people. I won't discuss the money or name the builder because that's between them. It was supposed to be 650 to 700hp.. With 30lb injectors and a stock MPI intake..
Old 09-21-2010, 04:38 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
Luckily it's only run for 10 or 15 minutes so far, otherwise it would have burnt down for sure. I think it will be good for the customer and the builder to hear the exact things I have been saying coming from other people. I won't discuss the money or name the builder because that's between them. It was supposed to be 650 to 700hp.. With 30lb injectors and a stock MPI intake..
Oh my, I'll bring the graham crackers and chocolate, someone else bring the marshmallows as we can make smores over the meltdown.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.