Notices

Drive Trim indicators?

Old 10-05-2010, 11:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Trim indicators?

Well as most of you know i just took the plunge and bought a 382. Well on the long list of things that need fixing drive trim is one of them.

Here is my problem.... the style that i have clamp onto one of the rams and has a piston that hits the end of the pin that holds the trim pistons and what not.

Well i guess when they had it all apart several years ago to do the motors they didnt put the drive back together the right way. one of the pins was installed the wrong direction so the trim piston doesnt hit anything (and looks to be a bit bent from deflection).

I already know i need to replace the cables on both sides since they are rusted and shot, should i stick with these and rebuild them or is there something else worth looking at? I really do not like the fact these are not working, nor is the working indicator very much help.

any thoughts? Ill try to get some pics but its sitting in the water until this weekend probably.

thanks guys
Old 10-06-2010, 01:06 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,811 Likes on 901 Posts

They are a merc part and have a merc price to go with them. I still think they are the best ones out there though.

Here is the parts schematic and part numbers
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...28846063A+1%29
Old 10-06-2010, 06:41 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

We sell new actuators for $175.00
Attached Thumbnails Drive Trim indicators?-image.php.jpeg  
302-521-0123

The Best Parts & Service At The Best Price
Old 10-06-2010, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

I have those and made my own indicator sticks. Very easy conversion. I needed the dash space taken by the big square panel.

Guess I can't post a pic here... I tried.

Last edited by Underdog88; 10-06-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

No matter which actuator you get, Use the stainless Marine "No Slack" Indicator Cables. If your drive moves at all it will show up on the display. With a regular morse type cable your drive can move up to 1 1/2" before the slack comes out of the cable and moves the display. Don't Skimp..
Old 10-06-2010, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a similar problem. I have the Stainless Marine No slack setup. The cables are in real good shape, and the SB side works perfect. The hardware on the port drive is bent and has kinked the cable. I just need the connection hardware and a cable end (if they can be replaced) to make it good. Anyone sell just the end hardware?