Notices

Narrowing Down My Choices

Old 10-08-2010, 09:42 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Velocity Rick is selling his single 28 pantera in your area.
There is also a twin 496 28 pantera for sale, asking may be a 'bit' more.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked for awhile and finally decided on getting a bang for my buck, I purchased a 98 baja 272, new 509 m3 sc procharger, 93mph on gps. The boat is mint with new trailer. Not a world class performance boat, But i live in clear water florida and can boat year around and payed only 28k....I enjoy embarrasing 100k boats
Old 10-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Registered

I had a 272, was a great boat at 66mph...could not even imagine running it in the 90's
Old 10-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Id be buying an Activator or Kryptonite
Old 10-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 26 REDLINE
Well the crazy Norwegians bought 2 Revolution Performance Marine boats 26', the called Steve a couple of years ago and told him they had just done a 200mile poker run in 5 METER SEAS, Steve thought they said 5' later he saw some pics and said thats bigger than 5' he couldn't believe that these nuts went out in 13' seas in a 26' boat...but they did, but the rest of us are normal I have never had a problem with hooking a sponson, but all cats are not created the same...BTW I thought you wanted to buy a cat 3 years ago, why the V???
I remember those sweet boats he sold to those guys, and that story! They're nuts!

Like I said, properly driven you can do it in a good 26 cat (RPM is a big 26 too which helps). But after spending more time on this lake, I'm glad to have a 28 V most days rather than a smaller cat I think. Now a 30+ cat would be a different story. Better span, and the sponsons are higher.

If you saw my last line there......that's why cat's went out the window, insurance. I couldn't even get a quote on a slow eliminator. So I bought a vette and a cheaper V (which works well on rough days, but is slooooooow on nice days)
Old 10-08-2010, 06:20 PM
Registered

Hey Sleve, You never really said what kind of speed you are looking for? Even though they are in limbo right now you should look at a 28 powerquest, I would argue with anyone that the cabin is the largest in the class, But the cockpit is very roomy also. A 29 has twins and is a very stable ride in rough water. If you will get into rough water I would not take a boat out for a test on a calm bright day....Take it out with the wind kicked up and bad!!! Then you know what you are getting.If you buy from a dealer they may not be familiar with that boat and we all know that all boats act different so if you dont know how to drive it, it doesn't matter how good a boat it is! Please clarify what your speed numbers are. Thanks
Old 10-08-2010, 06:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by speedreeder
Hey Sleve, You never really said what kind of speed you are looking for? Even though they are in limbo right now you should look at a 28 powerquest, I would argue with anyone that the cabin is the largest in the class, But the cockpit is very roomy also. A 29 has twins and is a very stable ride in rough water. If you will get into rough water I would not take a boat out for a test on a calm bright day....Take it out with the wind kicked up and bad!!! Then you know what you are getting.If you buy from a dealer they may not be familiar with that boat and we all know that all boats act different so if you dont know how to drive it, it doesn't matter how good a boat it is! Please clarify what your speed numbers are. Thanks
As far as speed. Upper 70's to low/mid 80's. That isn't the top on my must haves though. From what I have been seeing, the more common speeds are in the 70's and I would be happy with that. I know there is a lot that will go a lot faster too. If its faster, not going to complain though haha
Old 10-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sleev-les
As far as speed. Upper 70's to low/mid 80's. That isn't the top on my must haves though. From what I have been seeing, the more common speeds are in the 70's and I would be happy with that. I know there is a lot that will go a lot faster too. If its faster, not going to complain though haha
If you want the room and an enclosed head I would look at the 26 and 31 sonic they won't be as fast as some of the others but they have the best layout of any of the boats that I looked at before I bought one
Old 10-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andyt25
If you want the room and an enclosed head I would look at the 26 and 31 sonic they won't be as fast as some of the others but they have the best layout of any of the boats that I looked at before I bought one
I think the Sonic 30 has proven its mettle in the Aronow race last month...
Old 10-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Slug-ger
I'm gonna post in a world of A/T's. I have a twin 525efi 29 Fountain. The cabin is not huge by any means, but we have spent the night in it a couple of times, mostly my kids play in it.
I can't speak for the A/T's ride in big water, I've never owned one. We do however run a few poker runs every year & all makes & models are present, I have ran along side of some 32"& above A/T's . Bottom line is in big water your gonna feel it more or less & in different ways in all makes & models. The diff. is how big your nuts are & what place you won't to arrive in @ the last stop. I've came in the top ten out of 80 boats when I wanted, & I've been in 79 postiton. As far as Fountain versis A/T ? Twin versis single? 100 people will have diff. opinions. I'm partial to twins but a friend of mine races in super light & his single 525efi closed canopy 30 boat performs as good as my twin (except turning).
The fact is get your feet wet in Offshore Power Boating before you spend ALOT of money. A good boat salesman could sell ice to an Eskimo.
good post and true about the balls theory plus the older 29 fountains with twins were the new stepped 32s cause of the swimplateform so the newer 29 singles are smaller than the old. you got to take all three for a ride single baja will be slow with a 500hp 65mph. you just missed a 28 saber single 525 that sold for 25gs in real nice shape very good rough water ride about same speed as a AT 28, sutphen 30,31 these three are non step boats friend had one of the 28 AT I ran him in 3 to 4s doing 70mph in my 24 ol. I was getting some good air while you could see he was getting less and a smoother ride haha. 4 ft makes a different. also the new 33 AT has a REAL BIG feel to it with side by side seats big bathroom, you would think you were in a 36footer. and the boat rides like a bigger boat. when I have seen other boats chinewalk in messy waters of 3ft the 33 just doesn't do it at high speeds 85 to 92 crossing wakes on a angle its nice ride and a single step boat. If I had 250k kicking around I would buy a AT 37 new with custom dean gellner or jim reid power and konrad ace drives with nopper trannys 100mph plus which has a nice cabin and cockpit if I had more it would be a 41saber would run at a 100. ok back to the thread a 29 baja you want twins for speed 72 to 80 thats 454s or 525s. the 28AT my friends did 71 to 72 with a single 500hp a 525 around 75, twin AT came with sbc for got the speed , fountain 29 single is faster than the AT,baja,or saber with a 500hp or 525hp. the AT 33 was mid 90s with 525s I recall. Steves old boats were a 33 ,525 and 28, 500 both great boats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.