Old 10-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by customryder
ok sorry did not mean it to sound like a 2 year old.. lol

find yourself a active thunder, pantera, powerplay
Just my 2 year old opinion..
This is my short list as well.

Pantera's have the most out there, then AT and then there's 13 of us 28 Powerplay's ever built!

Sleev-less, what is your price range and how new of a boat do you want?
Old 10-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by lightning jet
Skip the cabin and buy a cat 2c lol
Yep... because in that size range a 26-30' cat will blow right by you in 2 to 3's while you are getting hammered, I have alot of friends with Baja's ranging from 25-32' I have crossed the lake a many of times and asked later in the day, "where the hell did yall go" the would tell me "chit we turned around it was to rough" if you ever ride in a cat in the size range you are looking at you will never want another V...far more a smoother ride.

Oh and I have a cabin, yes its small, but I am not planning on living on it just somewhere to get out of the weather...
Old 10-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 26 REDLINE
Yep... because in that size range a 26-30' cat will blow right by you in 2 to 3's while you are getting hammered, I have alot of friends with Baja's ranging from 25-32' I have crossed the lake a many of times and asked later in the day, "where the hell did yall go" the would tell me "chit we turned around it was to rough" if you ever ride in a cat in the size range you are looking at you will never want another V...far more a smoother ride.

Oh and I have a cabin, yes its small, but I am not planning on living on it just somewhere to get out of the weather...
I think in your case you're actually just flying....

On a small lake with small water sure, but in the great lakes area, I'd take a 28 V over a 26-28 cat all day every day! When the waters too big to go fast enough to pack air there's no advantage. Now make that cat over 30' and we're talking.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rlj676
I think in your case you're actually just flying....

On a small lake with small water sure, but in the great lakes area, I'd take a 28 V over a 26-28 cat all day every day! When the waters too big to go fast enough to pack air there's no advantage. Now make that cat over 30' and we're talking.
Oh my friend I beg to differ, you don't need to pack air for it to be a better ride, remember a cat has alot less surface area than that big V, granted I have never been in the Great Lakes, but come down to my neck of the woods and run accross Lake Maurepaus, of the Pontchatrain being that the lakes are so shallow it doesn't take much to get it nasty real quick, and not like the ocean with consitancy but like a pissed off washing machine...
Old 10-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My opinion: take the time to look at all of them and pick the one that YOU like best. I ended up with a 28 Saber, love it. AT would be a great choice too, more room and freeboard but I prefer a more "old school" look. Pantera is a great boat, Powerplay too but hard to find one.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 26 REDLINE
Oh my friend I beg to differ, you don't need to pack air for it to be a better ride, remember a cat has alot less surface area than that big V, granted I have never been in the Great Lakes, but come down to my neck of the woods and run accross Lake Maurepaus, of the Pontchatrain being that the lakes are so shallow it doesn't take much to get it nasty real quick, and not like the ocean with consitancy but like a pissed off washing machine...
I know how a shallow lake can kick it up, St Clair here is 11 ft avg, and wide enough for the wind to kick it up.

With mixed water conditions, don't you risk hooking a sponson? Also, a 24 degree V cuts through the water much better than the greater surface area of a cat I'd think? I have always thought the cat's advantage was when it floated down soft. On a 28 and under, you can't span most of the waves here, so punching through in a V seems better to me than in a cat. I'm guessing that a good design of either driven well will do well though.

Seeing as I can't insure a cat I guess it doesn't matter to me.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rlj676
I know how a shallow lake can kick it up, St Clair here is 11 ft avg, and wide enough for the wind to kick it up.

With mixed water conditions, don't you risk hooking a sponson? Also, a 24 degree V cuts through the water much better than the greater surface area of a cat I'd think? I have always thought the cat's advantage was when it floated down soft. On a 28 and under, you can't span most of the waves here, so punching through in a V seems better to me than in a cat. I'm guessing that a good design of either driven well will do well though.

Seeing as I can't insure a cat I guess it doesn't matter to me.
Well the crazy Norwegians bought 2 Revolution Performance Marine boats 26', the called Steve a couple of years ago and told him they had just done a 200mile poker run in 5 METER SEAS, Steve thought they said 5' later he saw some pics and said thats bigger than 5' he couldn't believe that these nuts went out in 13' seas in a 26' boat...but they did, but the rest of us are normal I have never had a problem with hooking a sponson, but all cats are not created the same...BTW I thought you wanted to buy a cat 3 years ago, why the V???
Old 10-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thats a good mix of choices, just be sure to check them all out closely. One more to throw in the hat of choices is a 28 Saber. Good space inside and out, big engine compartment, and a rock solid ride for big wave. Unbeatable construction. Talk to the guys in the Saber forum to get their opinions.
Originally Posted by sleev-les
After looking at all the makes of boats, I have narrowed down my choices to Fountain, Active Thunder, and Baja, 28-29 foot. Basically, I like the twins on the Baja, but would also love the single if it was a 500-525EFI, so I could go either way. I am also liking the cabins on the Fountains as it looks like they have an enclosed head, fridge/kitchenette type space. I also like the way they sit in the water. Active Thunder, for mainly the same reasons, but seems like they are selling used for more than the Fountains I've seen. Then Baja, has twin screw and I like the way they look. Basically, how many of you are running a single and don't really see the need for twins? I know twins make it easier to navigate small/tight spaces and stability is better, but as far as speeds, the bigger singles are still seeing the same as the twin Bajas. What would be your preference between the 3?
Old 10-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Different strokes for different folkes. Depends on how much you want to spend , what kind of boating you do and where you do it. I agree with most of the responces that an A/T,P/P, Apache... are going to ride the best in rough water. Baja,checkmate,powerquest,formula... are great all round boats usually a little more family oriented with storage, easier acces in cabin, couple extra cup holders and such.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

+1
Originally Posted by hotjava66
My opinion: take the time to look at all of them and pick the one that YOU like best. I ended up with a 28 Saber, love it. AT would be a great choice too, more room and freeboard but I prefer a more "old school" look. Pantera is a great boat, Powerplay too but hard to find one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.