Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Don Aronow Race date 2011 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/240391-don-aronow-race-date-2011-a.html)

Top Banana 10-07-2010 01:36 PM

Don Aronow Race date 2011

After some discussions re the date for next year's Don Aronow Around Long Island Marathon, we wanted to be as flexible as possible, to allow the British teams to return for another shot at the trophy.

So we have moved the date back one week to later in the month of September, the date for next year is......

Saturday..September, 24, 2011

We will have more next week re the class breakdown.

Some areas we have already agreed on....No canopy boats allowed and no turbine boats allowed..

So you have just under a year to get ready for this 271 mile return to real open ocean racing.

We welcome all racers any anyone who always wanted to be a racer like the old days.

Ryan Beckley 10-07-2010 02:06 PM

First Off I applaude you for what you are trying to do here.....but....
after having your last event with only THREE boats showing up, and two of them being canopied, disallowing ANYONE seems like a bad idea.... Just my $.02

Gladhe8er 10-07-2010 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley (Post 3225463)
after having your last event with only THREE boats showing up, and two of them being canopied, disallowing ANYONE seems like a bad idea.... Just my $.02

All 3 boats were open. Check out this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUl7ITVDaPY

I gues you could call 1 or 2 of them half-canopied...

Top Banana 10-07-2010 02:17 PM

Ryan...thanks for your input, but the two Outerlimits that you refer to were actually open top boats.

Ryan Beckley 10-07-2010 02:25 PM

So if we take the hatch off of our canopy, we would be allowed?

Seriously I am all for any type of racing but immediately immediately ANY entry seems silly.

They allowed canopy boats in the Cowes race.....

Top Banana 10-07-2010 02:48 PM

Thank you Ryan for your input. The two Outerlimits that you refer to were actually open top boats.

We have a 271 mile course to cover, we want boats that are easy for the racers to exit as opposed to the courses that allow canopies like the 4 mile circle course in Maryland last week.... different racing, different boats are successful.

Yes, the boat count was low for the first event for several reasons, but we had people who really wanted that style of racing and that kind of challenge. Those type of people will return, and others like them will come and it will grow with time.

This is the kind of racing the sport was founded on and there seems to be a strong interest in bringing it back.

KNOT-RIGHT 10-07-2010 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Top Banana (Post 3225444)
No canopy boats allowed and no turbine boats allowed..

Why no Turbines Charlie?

AIR TIME 10-07-2010 03:45 PM

you can drive my boat I'll run the stick:coolcowboy:, it should be done by them:party-smiley-004:. charlie what about a couple of classes 40ft bigger 32 to 39, 20 to 31 any motor combo:evilb:. just so if the 600 g boats show up like 30 or 40 a 31 or 24 will have a chance . this yr with 3 boats is one thing but if its big money boats they will be the winner if theres 5 or 10 % wise.

Top Banana 10-07-2010 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by KNOT-RIGHT (Post 3225525)
Why no Turbines Charlie?

Actually we had you in mind when we decided, nothing to do with the type of engines at all.

Seriously, there are other places for turbines to run, so it not like they are excluded from racing.

This sport started with guys building race boats. Plain and simple race boats that were very seaworthy. Almost anyone had a chance for the win, it was just who could hold it together for the longest.

The chance that we have right now is to do it right and take advantage of the mistakes of the racing organizations of the past. That is what we hope to do....the boats will be simpler, tougher and slower, than what everyone is used to seeing, but they will be capable of real open ocean racing.

Top Banana 10-07-2010 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by AIR TIME (Post 3225567)
you can drive my boat I'll run the stick:coolcowboy:, it should be done by them:party-smiley-004:. charlie what about a couple of classes 40ft bigger 32 to 39, 20 to 31 any motor combo:evilb:. just so if the 600 g boats show up like 30 or 40 a 31 or 24 will have a chance . this yr with 3 boats is one thing but if its big money boats they will be the winner if theres 5 or 10 % wise.

This is what T2X has suggested regarding classes. I agree that we should keep it as simple as possible with internal combustion engines only.

I suggest broad class limits.....

3 or more gas or diesels up to 50 feet
Twin inboard gas or diesels up to 40'
outboards up to 32 feet
Single inboards up to 32 feet
and
Nostalgia boats over 35 years in age....

We have however decided that the Historic class should be 25 years and older rather than 35 years, it opens it up for more boats.