Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Looking to get into the game...need input. >

Looking to get into the game...need input.

Notices

Looking to get into the game...need input.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to get into the game...need input.

What's up everyone? New to the site and wanted to hear what you have to say about my purchase of my first powerboat. Been looking in the 32-35' range and have always had a thing for the Fountains. Boat will be used on Pickwick Lake which is a big boating lake and stays pretty chopped up most of the day. I was looking at a 32' lightning, but read on here that stepping up to a 35' would offer a much better ride and space for about as much money. So, started looking at a 100 hr. '08 35' executioner w/ 496's that I should be able to get for around 80k. Is this a good deal? There is no trailer included with the deal, so I will have to invest $8000 over purchase price to make it complete. This would have me financing $73k w taxes and 20k down. Seems like there should be a better deal out there. I spoke to Pier 57 in Counce and they said it was an ok deal, but I should be able to find a better deal. What's your thoughts. Was trying to stay in the later model factory engine $55k-$65k range.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Registered

It is a buyers market for sure, be patient a great deal will come along now that boating season is coming to a end, for most of us anyway
Old 10-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Registered

Thanks firehawk. Is it reasonable to say the prices will come down more as the off season progresses?
Old 10-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeepster04
Thanks firehawk. Is it reasonable to say the prices will come down more as the off season progresses?
Up to a point yes.

At some point a lot of people will have already paid for winter storage, and will figure keep it to sell in spring before cutting the price any more.

The Fountain deal doesn't sound terrible to me if it has paint you like, etc. Worth paying a little premium to get a boat you love, rather than a deal on one that's just OK to you (unless you'll be flipping it soon).
Old 10-08-2010, 10:29 PM
Registered

I guess I am really looking for a deal and not so worried about paint preferences. I thought maybe this was a good deal when I looked at the book value on the boat, but not a steal, huh? Not real satisfied with the executioner ammenities either.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For an 08 thats not a bad price.But if you are going to be ramping it don't cheap out on a trailer.A myco will be about 15gs but worth it.What are you going to be towing it with?
Old 10-09-2010, 12:35 AM
Registered

Not gonna be towing it back and forth. I live 100 mi. from the nearest large lake. There is a put in and take out storage service on the water there that I will use. Their fees are 139/mth. and $20 per day launch fee. During the off season I will tow back home for maintenance and winterization. I have a 2001 2500 Suburban to do so. I know it's not the ideal tow vehicle, but it will have to to for the moment. Thanks for all of the responses.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:50 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you read through the Fountain section in OSO's Classifieds , the dollars you are quoting seem very reasonable.
There are people in there asking comparable money for much older boats.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

I agree with Catastrophy, price seems reasonable for an '08. The later model boats have been hit hard in the past year or so but will likely be the ones that begin to regain some value when all the leftovers and dealer repos finally clear out.

Having owned that 35' hull, a '99 Lightning which is the same bottom, I can tell you it works well in the water you speak of. Great all around boat and should see 78 - 80 with the 496's.