Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   hello all...input/opinions needed (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/240539-hello-all-input-opinions-needed.html)

berns29scarab 10-15-2010 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by kreed (Post 3231124)
I would say this, it depends on what type of boating your lookin to do. If you want to do weekend trips and sleep on , ect...then go for the pleasure boat. BUT remember youll be sacrificing speed and performance. If your a weekend warrior type, bar to bar, or just day trips and like to really run the boat through the rough, x race boat would be more fun. The x race boats price depends on what has been done to it since it has been race. If your buying a boat in race trim, presently running poker runs, it may need some freshening. If the boat hasnt run races for years, has been all freshened, should be worth more.

true for sure. im a weekend warrior, local hot spots, 30-50 mile runs offshore, bay bombing etc. as far as the X race boat its not so much its current config as it is the abuse the hull, deck and stringers took during its racing career. kind of like a prefab house. if you buy one from the factory 50 miles away the joints only loosened so much...if you buy one from 300 miles way they have 6 times the wear n tear on um. yes anything can be re-rigged BUT the bulkheads n stringers n such cant be retightened ya know ? im ok with a solid 75 plus altho 80+ would be nice...main concern is not wanting to get to the inlet and have to turn around cause its to choppy, want a comfy cockpit with room for 4-5 peeps as well as a solid ride and dont want to have an issue re-selling in 2 years since thats about how long i keep my boats. had a 29 scarab w twin SB's ran low 70's, 30 spectre w 300's ran 105+, 35 fastec ran low 70's so have had a nice blend and everyone sold quick as they were well kept with no issues and priced accordingly

Panther 10-15-2010 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by berns29scarab (Post 3231089)
Frank... was Mike/Tommys hustler notched ?

Yes, It was.

The Hustler is a little faster in the flat but the PP is a better riding boat in the rough, I've been on both. :drink:

The pro's and con's of both the Hustler and PP for "me" would be a coin toss.

The cost to run the PP and Huster was nearly identical to what it cost for me to run my 30' Scarab. However, the cost to run my 36' Apache and mike to run his 37' OL is nearly double. Unless it's stock power, the Cafe's cost of operation will be incramental IMHO... It doesn't seem like a lot but the Cafe is a much bigger boat and needs more power to run. My 36' Apache was designed to compete in the same market at the Cafe.:coolcowboy:

But hey, you're paying the money so I'd just get what you like! :)

I was dead set on an Apache or Top Gun, went with the Apache because the cabin blew away the TG and I knew I'd be building a family. :)

kreed 10-15-2010 09:47 AM

Well, Bernie, if you go for a ride on Franks Cig, youll find you can go out in ANY water. Cig is built solid and tough. His boat runs high 70's in bigger water than any 38 AVS w/ 502 Mags. He is sellin that boat for less than 1/2 of whats put in it. And its MINT! You seem like your tryin to queeze every last penny out of buying your next boat, but be careful, you may get what you pay for. Best resale value?......CIGARETTE.

4195 10-15-2010 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater (Post 3231118)
Those boats are dogs. Get you a nice 38 or 33 scarab avs and run 80 on stock 502 mags. Those old cigarettes will look nice in your rear view mirror.

Well if you say so then it must be true. Can you educate us all on this, your debth of knowledge I am sure will impress may of us. Cigs are heavy that is a fact, but so is the fact that they are unbelievable rough water boats. There are many boats that go right by me in flat water but as soon as it pics up they are long behind. I always love the Cigarette haters that constantly compare every boat to a Cigarette but then talk bad about them. I think Bernie should buy the boat that suits his needs. Some people could care less about being able to go out in any water others don't care about all out speed. That is why there are so many different ones to choose from. I am sure you like your boat and think it ride s great but it might be something that somebody else is not interested in. My .02

302Sport 10-15-2010 11:31 AM

here we go again episode 38

TexomaPowerboater 10-15-2010 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by 4195 (Post 3231240)
Well if you say so then it must be true. Can you educate us all on this, your debth of knowledge I am sure will impress may of us. Cigs are heavy that is a fact, but so is the fact that they are unbelievable rough water boats. There are many boats that go right by me in flat water but as soon as it pics up they are long behind. I always love the Cigarette haters that constantly compare every boat to a Cigarette but then talk bad about them. I think Bernie should buy the boat that suits his needs. Some people could care less about being able to go out in any water others don't care about all out speed. That is why there are so many different ones to choose from. I am sure you like your boat and think it ride s great but it might be something that somebody else is not interested in. My .02

I agree, cigarette makes a great rough water boat, almost as good as Apache.:evilb:

seafordguy 10-15-2010 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by 4195 (Post 3231240)

Agree - there is no denying the cigs aren't as fast as other brands but lets face facts - of the boats shown the Cig in CT is the most boat for the money and by far the best looking. You can go boating in any conditions, the owner has just sunk TONS into it, and it will prove timeless and resale will always be there. I wouldn't hesitate - whether your running 75 or 80 you are mid pack no matter what so who gives a **** about a couple MPH.

Also - The CIG comraderie is rivaled by few other Mfgs.

(Yes - I am one of those people that all out max speed isn't top priority)

berns29scarab 10-15-2010 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by seafordguy (Post 3231350)
Agree - there is no denying the cigs aren't as fast as other brands but lets face facts - of the boats shown the Cig in CT is the most boat for the money and by far the best looking. You can go boating in any conditions, the owner has just sunk TONS into it, and it will prove timeless and resale will always be there. I wouldn't hesitate - whether your running 75 or 80 you are mid pack no matter what so who gives a **** about a couple MPH.

Also - The CIG comraderie is rivaled by few other Mfgs.

(Yes - I am one of those people that all out max speed isn't top priority)

can i get an amen !

berns29scarab 10-15-2010 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by 302Sport (Post 3231273)
here we go again episode 38

no no NO DRAMA...looking for current owners of these models for facts not fiction or he said she said stuff.

302Sport 10-15-2010 03:14 PM

its a connecticut thing, we had some "here we go again" threads that just became a bunch of bashing.