Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   blow through superchargers (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/240596-blow-through-superchargers.html)

green lightning 10-11-2010 12:43 PM

blow through superchargers

I would like to know if anyone has any real world information on these type of systems , are they any good or should i stay away. The current engines are carbureted 540's with aluminum heads , thanks for any help

Turbojack 10-11-2010 12:58 PM

I am guessing you are talking about say a procharger? There are a number of them out running. I had this setup before I went to efi. Getting the carb adjusted takes some time. Not a big problem if only going with 5 lbs of boost.

FIXX 10-11-2010 01:05 PM

Fixx

Its a good way to pick up 8-10 mph...they are easier on the drives while taking off and use a little less fuel then a roots style blower

green lightning 10-11-2010 02:57 PM

I am looking at the Procharger and Vortech systems with intercoolers . If i went with the roots style superchargers and chillers i would have to cut or block up the sun pad .

jeff1000man 10-11-2010 03:02 PM

I have never run them. I know several builders and riggers who have used them and they all say that setting them up and making them operate right at low rpms and idling are a pain the the balls, but they work great at 2/3 - full throttle and make decent power.:coolcowboy:

green lightning 10-11-2010 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by jeff1000man (Post 3228005)
I have never run them. I know several builders and riggers who have used them and they all say that setting them up and making them operate right at low rpms and idling are a pain the the balls, but they work great at 2/3 - full throttle and make decent power.:coolcowboy:

Do you have any idea what the problems were ?

jeff1000man 10-11-2010 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by green lightning (Post 3228031)
Do you have any idea what the problems were ?

It's a problem with keeping the airflow consistent at low rpm's. All the extra air plumbing changes the volume and flow rate of the air going through the carb. That was about all I got out of the discussions. I don't know anyone that installs any of these systems either EFI or carbed anymore on boats. They all got to frustrated and the price of whipples etc became more reasonable.

Turbojack 10-11-2010 05:32 PM

I never had problems at low rpm's, mine started in the upper 7-10lb boost, higher rpm range getting the jetting correct with having it correct in the mid range. Do some searches on here. There are many threads on getting jetting & power valves correct. As I said if you only go to 5 lbs with carb you should have no problem if set up correctly.

Lookup Tomcat & his Rtech intercooler kits.

green lightning 10-11-2010 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff P31 (Post 3228104)
Running them on HP500's and they work great . What would you like to know ?

What kit did you use, did you install it yourself, what did you gain , would you install one again ?