Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   98 Baja 29 Outlaw? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/24063-98-baja-29-outlaw.html)

eyezlee 05-20-2002 10:15 AM

Guys we looked at this boat this weekend and it DOES have the cracked stringer on the port side. Is there a fix for this, or should this hull be avoided?

WETTE VETTE 05-20-2002 10:30 AM

I would avoid it. It must have been beaten pretty hard if there is a broken stringer. Sounds like it could be a lot of problems to me.

eyezlee 05-20-2002 10:37 AM

wette, apparently Baja's from 98 to mid 2000 model suffer from this condition. wondering if its fixable or not. thanks.

29 OUTLAW 05-20-2002 10:42 AM

Baja knows of the problem and has a "fix" that they have implemented on affected boats but I would bring in an unbiased surveyor and asked him what he thinks. Who knows, he may say "in the world of boats, this is minor". Or he may look at it and say 'holy $****!!".

Sacandaga 05-20-2002 10:46 AM

Run away as fast as you can, unless you can buy it for $40k:D I saw one on traderonline w/HP500's. Now that is a nice package. I think it was under $70k, but it was a 98 also. Good luck.

eyezlee 05-20-2002 10:53 AM

Originally posted by 29 OUTLAW
Baja knows of the problem and has a "fix" that they have implemented on affected boats but I would bring in an unbiased surveyor and asked him what he thinks. Who knows, he may say "in the world of boats, this is minor". Or he may look at it and say 'holy $****!!".
29outlaw,

Is there someone to contact at Baja to discuss this with? A surveyor is in the works as well.

tks,

Paul

29 OUTLAW 05-20-2002 11:19 AM

I have never contacted Baja directly but there are others on this board who have phone numbers for them. How did the one you saw compare with the one in the pictures we sent?

If you've read the long Fountain Factory thread, you would see the joe900sc had to sent his Fountain back for a broken stringer in the engine room and Fountain is "fixing" it.

Also - There used to be a member on the board named "Offshore1". He had a pre-2000 29 Outlaw and was quite candid about the way he had run balls-to-the-wall in Lake Erie since he had bought his boat. He said his boat was not suffering from the problem despite his driving habits.

eyezlee 05-20-2002 11:42 AM

I've posted a link to this thread down in the Baja Forum, so hopefully everyone will see it. Been reading the Fountain thread closely, everything can break. Everywhere else, this boat is clean and looks fairly well taken care of.

As far as the crack on this boat, its on the port side starts on top of the stringer then runs under the engine aft on the stringer. Could not see what happens under there because I did not have an inspection mirror. Its a small crack, but long and could be superficial, the surveyor will tell us more.

liquid asset 05-20-2002 07:48 PM

A freind of mine had the same problem on a 1997 and the dealer had him back on the water in 2 weeks and baja took care of it

eyezlee 05-20-2002 08:50 PM

Originally posted by liquid asset
A freind of mine had the same problem on a 1997 and the dealer had him back on the water in 2 weeks and baja took care of it
what exactly did they do?