Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Looking for info/feedback on older & larger Magnums. >

Looking for info/feedback on older & larger Magnums.

Notices

Looking for info/feedback on older & larger Magnums.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Looking for info/feedback on older & larger Magnums.

I will put this in the general discussion, classic and Magnum forums for exposure. Would very much appreciate experiences from those that have owned them, run them, maintained them and overnighted on them. What did you like? What did you dislike? Specifically the 40 and 45 models, but I have seen some restored 38's that looked interesting. The 53 looks like the best layout, but I just don't see myself handling it solo by any stretch of the imagination. Arnesons would be the preference, but curious about the inboard versions as well.
Model years can be anywhere up to the early 1990's. My wife and 2 boys would be the primary users, but the idea of the kids having some friends tag along, or another couple would be something I would like to account for as well.

If you can think of other sites that have forums that would good resources, that would be great too.

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:38 PM
Registered

Ttt
Old 10-25-2010, 06:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by damdonzi
I will put this in the general discussion, classic and Magnum forums for exposure. Would very much appreciate experiences from those that have owned them, run them, maintained them and overnighted on them. What did you like? What did you dislike? Specifically the 40 and 45 models, but I have seen some restored 38's that looked interesting. The 53 looks like the best layout, but I just don't see myself handling it solo by any stretch of the imagination. Arnesons would be the preference, but curious about the inboard versions as well.
Model years can be anywhere up to the early 1990's. My wife and 2 boys would be the primary users, but the idea of the kids having some friends tag along, or another couple would be something I would like to account for as well.

If you can think of other sites that have forums that would good resources, that would be great too.

Thanks in advance guys.
I have been on a 53' Magnum from my local marina back in September this year. It was an older model.

I was on it for a few hours and I was impressed!

The boat had twin detroit diesels and ran pretty fast for a boat of its size.. 640hp. The boat had shaft drives with huge props and featured a bow thruster up front. Guy (the owner) was able to untie it by himself and drive right on out and when we returned, he spun the boat around and backed it in like a champ.

It handles the rough very well and can turn pretty nicely. The cockpit is huge and you can have quite a bit of people on it. The cabin is very spacious and could very well be used for over night trips.

I loved the amount of space, power and design of the boat, and I didnt have too many dislikes, but access to the deck could of been made easier with some steps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUl7ITVDaPY Watch the video, the white Magnum was the one I was on.
What else do you want to know?

Last edited by MiniHawk; 10-25-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

I almost bought a 40 magnum with big catapillars. Beautiful boat with the right look, but boring to drive.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by pm203
I almost bought a 40 magnum with big catapillars. Beautiful boat with the right look, but boring to drive.
This is one of my concerns.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damdonzi, If your looking for FAST, call MAGNUM to see what happened to the 63' that Ted drove in the SEARACE @ 83 MPH !!! "HIGH LIFE"
Old 10-26-2010, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Most of the 53's went over 50mph, They make a HUGE Friggin Wake. It washes People, Pets, Lawn Furniture, etc off the beach just like a Tsunami.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:38 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by fastdonzi
Most of the 53's went over 50mph, They make a HUGE Friggin Wake. It washes People, Pets, Lawn Furniture, etc off the beach just like a Tsunami.
Reallly? 53 w/ S&S 8v92s cruised at 23knots, in 1983.
There werent big enough engines to push these boats fast early on.
We had a 38magnum flybridge in 1976-1980 w/ blueprinted 454s on V drives. Cruised 23-24 knots.
Now these 53s can hit 60 w/ twin 1000hp+ diesels, or turbines.

I reallty like the layout on the 38. Very user friendly.
The larger 40-53 were more euro cool.
Any of these will get going w/ ASDs and BIG Azz power.
And if you look for a 38, you wont fit big power w/ a full cockpit. You'll need one w/ a sunpad and engine hatch under.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormrider
Reallly? 53 w/ S&S 8v92s cruised at 23knots, in 1983.
There werent big enough engines to push these boats fast early on.
We had a 38magnum flybridge in 1976-1980 w/ blueprinted 454s on V drives. Cruised 23-24 knots.
Now these 53s can hit 60 w/ twin 1000hp+ diesels, or turbines.

I reallty like the layout on the 38. Very user friendly.
The larger 40-53 were more euro cool.
Any of these will get going w/ ASDs and BIG Azz power.
And if you look for a 38, you wont fit big power w/ a full cockpit. You'll need one w/ a sunpad and engine hatch under.
Ever been on Guys? I have. It was a very interesting ride!
Old 10-26-2010, 07:50 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I've seen guys boat.
Nothing special as far as magnums go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.