Notices

Whipple 8.3 Belt Issues

Old 10-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by saxman
You TAFC guys are insane!

I THINK that the GT's are supposed to carry about 15% more load than the HTD's.... Don't quote me on that though.

If you switch to a GT system and get bigger pulleys (same overdrive though) so more teeth can engage, but you still tear teeth off the belt, I would say that there is some other serious issue.... The GT system and bigger pulleys should have no issues carrying the load of anything under 1500hp on a good sized screw blower.

when you say more teeth,would that be over 50?

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:56 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
when you say more teeth,would that be over 50?
No real clear cut answer. A certain % more than he has... maybe go up 1 belt size and get pulley's to match it (keeping the same overdrive though).

Also, some people don't like having bigger pulleys while keeping the same overdrive ratio because it will increase your belt speed..... But, slower belt speed also means less teeth engaging per a given period of time, and obviously the teeth on Kaps belt couldn't carry the load.

Last edited by Coolerman; 10-14-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:56 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by endeavor1
Kinda like your Canadian WP......
no chit........
Old 10-14-2010, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not change the belt at 80 hours service. Maybe it shows no visable signs but reaches it's life span. Then you would have a spare for quick emergency.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Boat1
Why not change the belt at 80 hours service. Maybe it shows no visable signs but reaches it's life span. Then you would have a spare for quick emergency.
We stripped the teeth back to back on new ones too. A rubber tooth 8MM will not take the load.
depending on length of the belt something like this may be a solution
http://www.rbssuperchargers.com/Stor...83&InfoID=3921

I never had a major problem with the purple dust, no worse than the rubber belts
Old 10-14-2010, 05:56 PM
Registered

I dont think the kevlar belts can be tensioned from the back side. It supposedly breaks down the strength. This is just what I have been told, it is very possible I'm wrong.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SHAWN DAVIS
We stripped the teeth back to back on new ones too. A rubber tooth 8MM will not take the load.
depending on length of the belt something like this may be a solution
http://www.rbssuperchargers.com/Stor...83&InfoID=3921

I never had a major problem with the purple dust, no worse than the rubber belts
Comment:

I like your recommendation concerning the belt. The standard Jason belt is still $145... pay a little more for piece of mind the belt you recommend is only $179.00.

The overdrive should not be an issue.

It makes me wonder why the manufacturer wouldn't simply recommend or require this type of belt referenced above. Nah! I think something else is the problem no jumping the gun just yet. Mr. Whipple will know what the solution is to this issue.

BLEE, I will follow up for you on the outcome.

KAP

P.S. I called and left a message at Whipple will try once more again tomorrow.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by saxman
I would recommend going to RCD, and trying the gates powergrip GT belt and RCD GT pulleys (gear tooth profile, not the round tooth HTD).

I would not recommend a polychain, because they don't flex well, they are noisy as hell, and to quote BigYellowCat, after a days worth of boating, it will look like smurf exploded in your engine room. We have run the same 2 gates powergrip gt belts and rcd gt pulleys for 5 seasons with zero failures.

http://www.rcdengineering.com/

And what animalhouse said, put the tensioner on the back side of the belt if you haven't already.

You might also want to think about a different pulley combo (same overdrive ratio though) as to change how many teeth engage at a time and to change the forces on how your snouts/belts are loaded, because the snouts/cranks do flex.
Actually better than that, the Jason Gold belt. But this can't run with "GT" style pulleys.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kap328
Information Requested:
Anyone running a 8.3 litre Whipple supercharger with a cog belt?

If so have you had any issues with the belts?

I recently went to the Power Tour and did some fly bye's and the belt on my set-up was completely shaved smooth...there were pieces of rubber everywhere. FYI--- I run a Jason 1600 8mm cogged supercharger belt.

The belt looked like it was completely shaved of any teeth. It made a friggin mess in my engine compartment. I opened the hatch to see the belt loosely spinning around the pulley. It eventually slipped so much the engine died.

I then inspected the tensioners they were fine and turned the supercharger by hand to see if there was any binding and it spun freely. Adjusted the tensioners applied some tension to the bare belt to restart engine it fired up and limped back to the dock at idle. Note: I was lucky to have the tools onboard to make the adjustments otherwise it would have been a long tow back.

There are quite a few 8.3 Whipple motors out there this cannot be an isolated incident.

FYI: I run a 8mm cogged system as the previous set-up called for a ribbed belt and they had slippage problems trying to turn such large helical lobes.

Anyone have same or similar issues love to hear from you including any solutions?

KAP

P.S. I will call Mr. Whipple tomorrow but always want to hear from other boaters.
There are no belt issues with 8mm. How many hours do you have on the belt? Had you inspected it recently to see cracking? Are you running the belts loose or tight or somewhere in between? Are you sure the motor isn't detonating, floating valves, hitting rev limit....? If so, you'll rip the teeth off. I had that at desert storm 2 years ago, floating the valves on 1 motor and it would rip the teeth off as the motor was missing up a storm @ 6000+.

The 1600 standard Jason is just a stanard run of the mill belt that works in 99% of applications. The Gates is the next best belt which has more kevlar inner support. Then the Jason Gold is better yet. Then you have to go to the Kevlar version but for your app, you shouldn't need any of the above.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BLee
Keep us posted if you don't mind?

I'm building new power, and planned to use the 8.3 over the 5, but I've heard about the belt issue as well. I thought they might have fixed the issue my now, so IF you have the time, could you let us know what Dustin says?

Thanks man, & good luck!
There is not an issue with the SC or 8mm belt system. 8mm been around a long time and are just fine for these apps. The 8.3 and 5.0 are the same thing, just mirrored to other side. I had belt issues on my 48' OL for the powerboat shootout, but my push rolds were far too long (oops) and it was floating the valves. Belt couldn't accel/decel with motor, sc's like a flywheel, wants to keep going. So rev limits, loose belts, detonation all can hurt the belts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.