Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Deposit or not? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/241087-deposit-not.html)

VetteLT193 10-20-2010 07:51 AM

I think it depends on situation. If someone wants a ride in my boat I'm going to get the price negotiated first... not because I care about taking anyone for a ride or not, it is just a PITA because of location of the boat so it is an inconvenience for me. So, I'm not going to screw around if the guy isn't serious. If he doesn't like it after the test drive, all well, we part ways.

As for deposit.... if they want a survey, and it is going to take time, I'll get a deposit, otherwise if it is going to be a quick deal doesn't matter.

pm203 10-20-2010 09:04 AM

There are countless variations/situations. If the boat is already in the water and you want to take someone for a ride, that's great. But, if you are fielding calls from all over the country, you might want to do it differently. A friend of mine recently met a buyer at the airport, drove him to the lake, spent 5 hours with the potential customer including test drives, lunch, etc only to have the potential buyer low ball him several days later. And, my friend had informed the buyer what the bottom line price was over the phone before he met him. Its just not worth it. There are alot of time-wasters, dreamers and strokers out there amongst a small group of real buyers.

Stormrider 10-20-2010 09:15 AM

Jay, how are you going to do this being 4hrs away at school?
Sounds like a PITA.
And the buyer shouldn't be getting pricing from anyone but you, unless the boat is being brokered.

2004, I talked to owner, agreed on $, sent a deposit so he wouldn't sell it out from under me, 3 days later on a plane to Florida, took for test run, liked it enough to take it w/ me.
As i said, if the buyer is local, and is asking for a ride so quickly, and the boat (and you) are not easily accessible, think hard about taking him out... you may want to screen it more.

wjb21ndtown 10-20-2010 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by carter38 (Post 3234383)
I have not had good luck with deposits. I had one guy take almost 2 months to pay for after the deposit. I had the chance to sell it once and he was I will have the money to you by Friday to bad it was the Friday he choose. As for rides if I'm out in it I'll take someone out and not think anything about it. I did one time dewinterize to take a guy out in off season he shows up with some buddies we go out ran flawless then decides the cockpit was to small. That one pissed me off and cost some coin for there joy ride. I'd say if someone comes from out of town they probably pretty serious buyer.

You should always specify what they're getting for the deposit. I think it is best to have a relatively small non-refundable deposit, and have it spelled out in writing that you will hold the boat for two weeks for that deposit.

Stormrider 10-20-2010 09:24 AM

And I'd have to disagree w/ PM on the homework / test ride.
I may be on these boards checking w/ as many people as possible about how these boats run. But the seat of the pants experience tells all.

Getting your facts about these boats... this is probably the best place for it. And the guys we are concerned on this thread are mostly, not the ones from here.

carter38 10-20-2010 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown (Post 3234530)
You should always specify what they're getting for the deposit. I think it is best to have a relatively small non-refundable deposit, and have it spelled out in writing that you will hold the boat for two weeks for that deposit.

I agree completely trust me it was a lesson learned.:argue:lol!

BraceYourself 10-20-2010 09:40 AM

I had a guy that was sent to me by a couple of brokers. Was assured he was a real buyer. Went out on a sea trial, go 110mph, nothing wrong, said he would wire the money on tuesday (three days later). Never did! He was just a BS buyer looking over the market and wanted a free ride. It was my fault for trusting everyone involved.

In the future I'll require a signed buyers agreement and money down, if they don't want to then they're not a real buyer.

Mastercraft240 10-20-2010 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Stormrider (Post 3234527)
Jay, how are you going to do this being 4hrs away at school?
Sounds like a PITA.
And the buyer shouldn't be getting pricing from anyone but you, unless the boat is being brokered.

I am the only one giving prices. The boat was just at a friends shop and therefore if the buyer wanted to see the boat he would have to go there. The college thing isn't difficult. Ill come home for $48,500:grinser010::drink:

Stormrider 10-20-2010 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by mastercraft240 (Post 3234572)
I am the only one giving prices. The boat was just at a friends shop and therefore if the buyer wanted to see the boat he would have to go there. The college thing isn't difficult. Ill come home for $48,500:grinser010::drink:

You got water nearby school??? :D
Sure would be fun to have there!

Big Time 10-20-2010 02:15 PM

I've bought two boats in my life:

The first one I drove about 5 hrs with cash in hand...had the guy fire up the boat on the trailer and ended up taking the boat home that day.

The second one I had already secured financing, agreed on the price of the boat, and confirmed that my offer was conditional upon a successful survey and a water test (for which I was flying in for). I had agreed to give the owner $$ for gas on the test run. After I was satisfied with the water test I put a deposit in with the seller.

I took a few boats for test runs before I bought my boat, and after seeing this thread I wonder how many of those guys thought I was just a tire kicker or some young guy looking for a free joyride...