Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Baja Boats (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/241332-baja-boats.html)

Back4More 10-24-2010 04:41 PM

I had a 272 and a 32...wish I still had the 32.
Great boat for the coin.

Mopwr 10-24-2010 08:36 PM

Thanks

Thanks for all the great feedback !!!!!!!

Griff 10-25-2010 02:16 AM

They are decent boats and a great value. They are mainly an entry level powerboat.
SST is just an option package on Baja boats.

1MOSES1 10-25-2010 06:59 AM

while i agree that baja's make a great boat for the money and provide lots of cabin space...thats where it ends for me

the quality of the hull and interior is really poor. fit and finish is lacking. the attention to detail is just not there...for me they decided to cut too many corners to hit a price point...

examples:

1. plastic cup holders
2. non-electric bolsters (springs that rust instead)
3. vinyl apohlstery in cabin
4. flimsy plastic glove compartment
5. stress cracks throughout the hull
6. cheap looking cabin lights

thomas_e102 10-25-2010 08:00 AM

I picked up a 1992 260 last year that looks like it just rolled out the show room. When I take it out I have guys with very high end boats that just have to come over a ask me about it. They have nothing but great stuff to say about the 'Older" bajas.

bajaholic 10-25-2010 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by moses0324 (Post 3237869)
while i agree that baja's make a great boat for the money and provide lots of cabin space...thats where it ends for me

the quality of the hull and interior is really poor. fit and finish is lacking. the attention to detail is just not there...for me they decided to cut too many corners to hit a price point...

examples:

1. plastic cup holders
2. non-electric bolsters (springs that rust instead)
3. vinyl apohlstery in cabin
4. flimsy plastic glove compartment
5. stress cracks throughout the hull
6. cheap looking cabin lights

Though I can appreciate your input, I think it is ONLY fair to point out, it depends on what model and years you are talking about with your above list. The SST package addresses the cup holders, electric bolsters (again this depends on the size and model and if they ordered the upgrade) and cabin lights., as far as vinyl in the cabin, I guess I dont understand that one, which boat manufacturer uses anything other than Vinyl??? I'll give you the glove box and the stress cracks are not universal, but really depends on how the boat was treated and taken care of. ANY boat manufacturer will have that if it is abused.

As I stated earlier, fit and finish of the Baja line is that of a "production" boat, and this was why the original price point was less money than the "custom" compitition. I will say though I may not have the fastest boat on the lake, but, when the water gets rough, I am right up and stay in the front of the pack.

My only real complaint over the years has been the quality of the cuddy materials, spacifically the cabinet doors, in my opinion the hinge assemblies were just not strong enough and the doors were made too thin or made of press board, which caused the poor quality issues. We run in rough water all the time and after a hard weekend of running we have to go back and tighten everything back down. (Takes about 10 minutes) Other than that our boat looks and runs like new. It is amazing how well a boat will last if you take care of it.

As I stated earlier, Bajas are more than just the boat, they are also the group that you meet with it and I think you will find this group VERY helpfull should you ever need help, there is actually a couple other web sites out there spacifically for Baja Owners. Good luck.

1MOSES1 10-25-2010 08:52 AM

Though I can appreciate your input, I think it is ONLY fair to point out, it depends on what model and years you are talking about with your above list. The SST package addresses the cup holders, electric bolsters (again this depends on the size and model and if they ordered the upgrade) and cabin lights., as far as vinyl in the cabin, I guess I dont understand that one, which boat manufacturer uses anything other than Vinyl??? I'll give you the glove box and the stress cracks are not universal, but really depends on how the boat was treated and taken care of. ANY boat manufacturer will have that if it is abused.
granted the bolsters are upgrades, on other boats this is a standard feature

other manufacturers use leather within the cabin instead of vinyl. to me the comparison is like buying a car with cloth seats vs. leather. the vinyl inside is unwelcoming and stale.

i tend to think bajas are notorious for gel coat cracking near the corners on the helm area...fountains have similar issues.

JaayTeee 10-25-2010 09:48 AM

I've had 4 of them.
Brians ( Bajaholic) comments are spot on.

My only complaints with the boats are with the rigging.

Could be a little cleaner.

ZP'd 10-25-2010 12:39 PM

Just be careful when looking at any of the newer models with the liner hulls. (before Reggie) More then a few had issues that they went back to the factory for and some more then once.

The 25 Outlaw is one of my favorites in the Baja line-up. Nice styling, good ride. rigging and attention to detail could ahve been better for the price IMO but overall a nice 25ter

XT-Innovator 10-25-2010 04:54 PM

Since I served a good portion of my working life at Baja Boats, and Baja Marine from 1984 thru 2008 when the company was relocated, maybe I could add to this thread?

I will have to come back to this one later (after a few beers) but keep one thing in mind. How could a company do everything WRONG and own as much as a 40% "Performance Boat market share" (even in 2008) like Baja did for all those years?

XT