Notices

Baja Boats

Old 10-26-2010, 11:46 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Me thinks you gotta let us know what you are shopping for, price and size. I have had 3, a 24 with a 540 bulldog, a 99 29 with twin 330hps, and a 2003 with 600's in it.

A 24 is tight, horrible use of space IMO. I loved the boat, I was young and all my freinds and all the ladies thought that thing was a bad ass! Unless your budget is tight go for a 25 if you are shopping this size. A foot on paper is like 10 ft between those two boats. However, I would buy a 26 sonic with a full head over a 25 ft baja any day.

The 29 was a great boat, just slow for twins in a 29 ft boat. But it rode good and had decent room.

36- tons of room, lots of options like McCloud bolsters, monster gauges, clarion audio with subs, fridge, pump out, trans shower etc. The boat was very impressive to anyone that did not own a fountain, cig, and any other real offshore boat It kinda reminded me of a chevy corvette, in the sense that the average person might put it in the same class as a ferrari, lambo, or porche. Ferrari does not have a cavalier!

However, all these boat lacked a little quality. The 29 and 36 had major cabin issues. The vynil was falling down all over and was cheap cheap. The hatch on the 24 made it 3 years before serious rot. The back seat of the 36 made it 5 years before total wood rot. The 36 bilge will drain into the cabin after you pull it out of the water, the front bilge can not get all the water out and by the time you get home the carpet will be soaked.....one time with oil and water!! (dont ask lol)

I own a lot of Baja stuff, but for me I have to move on. There is more speed and quality out there for the same money now! However, for the right price not a bad boat.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XT-Innovator
Since I served a good portion of my working life at Baja Boats, and Baja Marine from 1984 thru 2008 when the company was relocated, maybe I could add to this thread?

I will have to come back to this one later (after a few beers) but keep one thing in mind. How could a company do everything WRONG and own as much as a 40% "Performance Boat market share" (even in 2008) like Baja did for all those years?

XT
Sorry to dredge this old thread up but I have a quick question: I'm looking at a 1998 Baja Sidewinder. One owner, well-cared for. Any significant issues to watch out for? My first deep-vee boat and I could use a thumbs up or down on this one. Thank you.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,043 Likes on 1,355 Posts

didn't even know they made it, cool looking left hand steer, Id call Dave @ XT and get the real story about how they were constructed, good luck
Old 01-24-2017, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

I've owned 3 Baja Outlaws (20, 25, & 29) and they were all great boats. The guys that bag on therm are usually high end boat owners that have never even ridden in one let alone owned one. Yes, they are not the quality of a Cig, Outerlimits, Nortech, etc but the cost is way lower. Kind of like the response you'd get if you went to a Ferrari club and asked them what they think of Corvettes!

I'm not too familiar with the Sidewinder but a quick search shows they are a 20 degree deadrise boat so rough water is going to beat you up a bit. Most offshore boats (including the Outlaws) have a 24 degree deadrise which will cut through the water better. A flatter deadrise boat will go faster in smooth water but pound you in rough water. So, it depends on the kind of boating you will be doing. Small inland lakes or big lakes/ocean where the water kicks up. Also, at just under 20' it's not well suited for big water.

As with any boat, you'll want it checked out thoroughly by an expert. I'm assuming the price is not going to be real high on that boat and a survey will run you a few hundred bucks so if you don't want to spend that money at least have the engine checked for compression and check stringers and transom for rot.

Good luck and post some photos.

Last edited by BajaFresh; 01-24-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 33outlawsst
didn't even know they made it, cool looking left hand steer, Id call Dave @ XT and get the real story about how they were constructed, good luck
I'm trying to drop him a note. The Sidewinder seems like a nice little runabout. I'm just returning to boats after a 20 year hiatus...thought I'd pick up something inexpensive and play around a bit.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by CAEMI
I'm trying to drop him a note. The Sidewinder seems like a nice little runabout. I'm just returning to boats after a 20 year hiatus...thought I'd pick up something inexpensive and play around a bit.
Then it would probably be a great little boat for you as long as it checks out.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:26 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,043 Likes on 1,355 Posts

make sure the transom and stringers are sound, is it a 454 and bravo boat ?? I had a 272 and a 33Outlaw in the past and as BF stated, they are great boats.

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 01-24-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:28 AM
Registered

Good advice. Didn't realize it was a 20 degree boat but that shouldn't pose a big issue. MOST of the time, it would be in quiet water with occasional big lake use. I'm more concerned with stringer and transom rot, that sort of thing. I know engines well enough to be comfortable. Outdrives...not so much. It's a little 5.0 chevy/merc setup.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:30 AM
Registered

How many hours on the boat and engine?

You might want to post this in the Baja section here as well.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:32 AM
Registered

BTW, nice '64. My father had a two-door in '64. It was that odd burgundy color they had back then. My older sister backed it out of the two-car garage one day with the passenger door open...took the door off and the brick center pillar out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.