Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Have you ever had a big shark swim by your boat? >

Have you ever had a big shark swim by your boat?

Notices

Have you ever had a big shark swim by your boat?

Old 10-24-2010, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Have you ever had a big shark swim by your boat?

We were in FL and had a dolphin swim close and scared the **** out of us at first when that fin popped up. Maybe just beacuse im a Lake Erie boater and not use to it.
Was wondering if any big ones have ever came up to your boat.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Get bumped by a manatee snorkling and you will sh!t yourself! They are huge, you are looking through a mask and you freak at first because you have no idea what this huge thing is next to you.

My buddy landed a 6 ft bull shark in the intracoastal waterway a few weeks back. He was anchored about 150 ft from the sandbar I take my kids to!

In salt water, EVERYTHING is swimming around you. At Peanut Island (just inside Palm Beach inlet) I have seen 3 ft barracuda sitting idle only inches from groups of people drinking beer in waist deep water.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a big fricken hammerhead come to the surface about 40 miles out. We were fishing and it just came up to see what was going on.
One of those "we need a bigger boat" sharks.
Huge and it was pretty cool to see it.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

In the NYC area no sharks, just bodies
Old 10-24-2010, 04:00 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by salesmanship
Had a big fricken hammerhead come to the surface about 40 miles out. We were fishing and it just came up to see what was going on.
One of those "we need a bigger boat" sharks.
Huge and it was pretty cool to see it.
Had the same thing happen off Marathon, FL. We were idling in just 20 ft of water not far from the 7 mile bridge and this hammerhead came by for a look at us and rolled over and went back down. I looked right into his eye.
Also threw a blade 40 miles south of Nassau and was hanging onto the ladder with one hand, prop wrench in another hand and a nurse shark swam by. That was it. I was out of there and we idled 10 miles into Highborne Cay and tried to deal with it there.
Pic 1 was taken idling into Highborne about an hour after that. They say nurse sharks are harmless.
Pic 2 is for your entertainment pleasure.
As far a dolphins go they are plentiful around Marco and often come up behind the boat and play with us.
Attached Thumbnails Have you ever had a big shark swim by your boat?-img_0888.jpg   Have you ever had a big shark swim by your boat?-great-white-sea-kayak_2.jpg  
Old 10-24-2010, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a hammerhead as wide as the beam on an old Bertram swim by the boat while we were out trolling of off Charleston a few years ago. Jupiter about 5 years ago after picking up a couple of nice Sailfish about 1/2 mile out from the Breakers things slowed down. We went and caught several 5-6 foot sharks near the inlet that leads in to the Sailfish Club, there were everywhere!
Old 10-24-2010, 04:27 PM
Registered

Was paris sailing in seista key and look down at he people in the water, and i saw big fish( i hope it was flipper ) and the people never new how close thet were to them
Old 10-24-2010, 05:16 PM
Registered

Almost hit one hauling ass off the LI coast a few years back. Was sure it was a shark the fin wasn't bobbing like a dolphin. He went down quick as I approached him
Old 10-24-2010, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad
Had a hammerhead as wide as the beam on an old Bertram swim by the boat while we were out trolling of off Charleston a few years ago. Jupiter about 5 years ago after picking up a couple of nice Sailfish about 1/2 mile out from the Breakers things slowed down. We went and caught several 5-6 foot sharks near the inlet that leads in to the Sailfish Club, there were everywhere!
Lake Worth inlet/Palm Beach inlet is the one next to Sailfish Marina....and yes lots of big sharks out there. 13 year old kid from New England set two records for sharks last winter and this spring some locals pulled in a 13 ft Hammerhead off the beach (Singer Island). On flat days the south jetty at the inlet has ridiculously clear water (15-20 visibility) and you can snorkle the jetty for hours. The beach has no one out there (its Palm Beach, no one actually uses the beach!) and the shoreline has a very sharp dropoff so you can anchor in 3 ft of water and be 10 feet off the beach!
Old 10-24-2010, 05:18 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brad
Did you release them? Sharks are being seriously over fished.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.