Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Engine Alignment Tool? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/24141-engine-alignment-tool.html)

blackhawk 05-11-2002 02:45 PM

Engine Alignment Tool?

Does anyone know the correct part number for the engine alignment tool for Bravo gimbal and 502 engine(1995)? I was told it was 91-805475A1, which I purchased. But the end does not fit into my engine coupler.

Tinkerer 05-11-2002 03:16 PM

That I know of their is only 1 BRAVO alignment tool. If the tool starts to go in and then stops ---your engine is out of alignment. If it enters the end of the coupling it is the right tool.

blackhawk 05-11-2002 03:24 PM

Tinkerboat, that would make sense IF my engine was in my boat! I was planning on putting the engine in tomorrow so I went and bought the tool. With the engine sitting out of the boat the tool will not go in. It is very, very close but just a little too big. I checked for any burrs in the coupler but cannot feel any. I just talked to the place where I bought it and they also told me there is just one alignment tool. I am starting to wonder if I got the 1 out of 142,279,663 that was machined incorrectly! That would be my luck! :confused:

Tinkerer 05-11-2002 03:28 PM

The end without the knurling goes into the coupling. :D just kidding. take it back and get another one. have the place check it before you take it home.

blackhawk 05-11-2002 03:47 PM

That's what I was going to do, but of course I bought the last one! No one else around has one in stock.

Tinkerer 05-11-2002 03:59 PM

If you live near GR you can borrow mine.

blackhawk 05-11-2002 05:07 PM

I'm about 90 miles away. My friend that lives in Zeeland may be coming up here tonight or tomorrow. I'll give him a call. I appreciate the offer.

boathead 05-12-2002 09:29 AM

blackhawk,
This may seem silly, but try the other end of the tool, it's made to fit different applications, my HP 500 EFI's and all Bravo I's use the solid end , that tool is the same as mine(mine measures 1.008" on the diameter that goes into the engine coupler). The threaded end is for transmission/TRS's III, IV V, and VI drives.
good luck,
Paul

bajaboss 05-13-2002 11:09 AM

did you get the correct tool? I know a guy that makes them at a fraction of the merc price and they work great.

blackhawk 05-13-2002 12:53 PM

Boathead

Yes, I was using the solid end. There was a slip of paper that explained the two different ends. Thanks for the measurement! I will measure mine with a micrometer tonight. I'm guessing it's a couple thousands too big.

Tinkerboat, thanks for the offer to borrow yours. My friend didn't come up North and I don't have the time to drive right now. If I can't make mine work, I may have to make the time!