Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Black Thunder - Just my opinion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/241437-black-thunder-just-my-opinion.html)

FuelinAround 10-28-2010 11:26 AM

Did they offer BT staggered? I am not sure what all the benefits of staggered motors is but the big one I see is they are easy to work on. You can get to the sides of the motors much easier in most I have seen. Are there performance reasons for staggered motors?

LAriverratt 10-28-2010 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by kyboy1020 (Post 3240895)
Did they offer BT staggered? I am not sure what all the benefits of staggered motors is but the big one I see is they are easy to work on. You can get to the sides of the motors much easier in most I have seen. Are there performance reasons for staggered motors?

I'm no expert by a long shot and someone else can give you way more info but I think it also affects the CG

SS930 10-28-2010 11:52 AM

The staggered configuration typically has a better CoG, handles better, and runs a hair faster... plus much easier to work on. The down side obviously is you loose cockpit space.

Coolerman 10-28-2010 11:55 AM

The 460 extended cockpit does not have room for staggered engines. Also, docking with staggered engines is a major pita on such a tall boat

FuelinAround 10-28-2010 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by saxman (Post 3240917)
The 460 extended cockpit does not have room for staggered engines. Also, docking with staggered engines is a major pita on such a tall boat

What the reason for this? One engine take longer to engage than the other or something?

rlj676 10-28-2010 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by kyboy1020 (Post 3241179)
What the reason for this? One engine take longer to engage than the other or something?

You generate less torque to turn the boat with staggered, as they are closer together. (shortens the moment arm to get all physics in here)

Mentalpause 10-28-2010 08:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Jassman (Post 3240384)
Twin 850's on a 43 NT does around 103-05 with the right props.

Then how come we could only hit 78 with your 700s - remember, that was the day John's 27 baja passed you!!:eek::eek:

Your expressions was...................priceless (pic 1). But then you recovered to pass him back, and all was well (pic 2).

boatme 10-29-2010 05:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by THLWL (Post 3240761)
(But I also think it was kind of odd for someone to just start a post about BT's like this one was started).

Nothing strange about posting this

I was reflecting on how much i liked my BT and how great the experience was (at the time) and was also reflecting on how poorly things have become with the company

My point was, that the hulls are great and I would love to see them updated and continued on as the niche they had was very unique in the market place. The flat deck is a beast in rough water and the 46 is a great offshore/overnighter
I spent many entire week long vacations on my BT

Like i said since this is a small market and I think there is a place for this boat (updated a bit) I would love to see it marketed and produced but sadly I do not think the talent at the company can achieve it

As far as Dennis (guy you worked with at BT) He was a nice guy (i had many dealings with him) but he was not really a boat guy He was an out of work stock broker when he went to work in sales, then sales management for BT He is a nice guy but not really a boat sales manager type If you notice he is no longer involved and has not been for many years

End of story BT was a great boat I hope someone picks up the line and gets it back out there

Pics of my old boat

fandango 10-29-2010 08:03 AM

I believe there is a guy up in norhtern maryland that was somehow involved with BT. Anyway, I know he has (2) 2008 or 2009 Black Thunders (can't remember which year) that are new and can't seem to sell. One is 700's ITS and the other is 525's.

LAriverratt 10-29-2010 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by fandango (Post 3241638)
I believe there is a guy up in norhtern maryland that was somehow involved with BT. Anyway, I know he has (2) 2008 or 2009 Black Thunders (can't remember which year) that are new and can't seem to sell. One is 700's ITS and the other is 525's.

some of these guys know those two boats...the 700 is the one they did the article on in power boat Magazine isn't it...http://www.powerboatmag.com/black-thunder-460-ec.html