warning horn for over temp

Notices

warning horn for over temp

Old 10-26-2010, 04:11 PM
rjr
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default warning horn for over temp

I was cruising along last Saturday looking at foliage when my buddy noticed the tiny red light on the starboard temp gauge (Gaffrig) was on. The temp was 220 so I shut it down. I am wondering if anyone knows a way to hook a horn to give more of a warning. Mercruiser has something like. anyone know if it can be retrofitted?
Old 10-26-2010, 04:37 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My father said the same thing to the yard on his sailboat. The yard thought it would be funny so they put a school bell into the thing and did not tell him. When he turned the key because the oil preasure would be low for a second the bell would go off. Scared te crap out of us when we did it the first time. They all had a good laugh and showed us the over ride button.

You can easily wire in a number of different alarms. Just hook them up with a relay to the same pole that lights up your light.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I added a oil pressure and over temp alarm to my boat and used a timer relay with about 2 seconds dela to let it build some oil pressure and not wake the world up. I wired sensors to a red LED on the dash and a super loud peizo electric siren (like 120 dB).
Old 10-27-2010, 01:32 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

There should already be a Merc alarm hooked up on a Formula 382. It should have started giving a solid loud beep around 200*

Are you sure it really was overheating??? or could it just be a bad gauge. I replaced one of my Gaffrig Red Line water temp gauges because it kept showing hot readings and the red light would come on. It did it intermittently and if you shut the engine off for 30 seconds, it would start reading normal again.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:11 PM
rjr
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kind of intereting problem. John didn't notice it until we were in a no wake zone. I restarted when the gauge indicated 130. No problem at 40 MPH. Then when I slowed for another no wake zone the temp started climbing again.

I am thinking sea water pump but am a little puzzled why it didn't overheat at 40. One theory is that the water intake in the nose of the bullet (Bravo 1) has enough ram pressure to cool the engine.

I re powered a Bayliner years ago. There was a blue and brown wire at the gear overflow tank to plug the horn to. I don't think the Formula has it but I will look.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:12 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

There should be tan/blue wires for the Merc audio warning system. The warning buzzer will go off for high water temp, low oil presssure, and low drive fluid. They use separate sensors for the warning system than are used for the guages.

Last edited by Griff; 10-29-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rjr
Kind of intereting problem. John didn't notice it until we were in a no wake zone. I restarted when the gauge indicated 130. No problem at 40 MPH. Then when I slowed for another no wake zone the temp started climbing again.

I am thinking sea water pump but am a little puzzled why it didn't overheat at 40. One theory is that the water intake in the nose of the bullet (Bravo 1) has enough ram pressure to cool the engine.
As long as you didn't get an air pocket, water pressure alone at speed should keep you cool. Pump is mainly for idling/no wake areas.

Originally Posted by Griff
There should be tan/blue wires for the Merc audio warning system. The warning buzzer will go off for high water temp, low oil pressure, and low drive fluid. They use separate sensors for the warning system than are used for the guages.