Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Michigan Boaters, Sunny and 80 only! >

Michigan Boaters, Sunny and 80 only!

Notices

Michigan Boaters, Sunny and 80 only!

Old 05-04-2002, 02:19 PM
MIdnightRider

Thumbs down Michigan Boaters, Sunny and 80 only!

On the West side of MI I am amazed year after year how fair weathered our boating community is. I began boating less my parents in 96'. I have not missed a weekend with my boat, either one or two nights in that time. Rain or shine, cold or hot. I don't expect everyone to be that stupid; but we won't see boats running around Grand Haven until about July 4th. It just blows my mind. I have had my boat in the water the last three weekends(well I backed it in the first week, long story). We took it out last night, it was us, and two fishing boats in all of Grand Haven. I am going back this afternoon, it will be the same, all the way until July. These people must have too much money. My boat is a big expense for me, I intend to take full advantage of the chances I get to use it. My boat payments don't go into storage when my boat does. Midnight

Old 05-04-2002, 05:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When warmer temps arrive it seems as though everything requires spring maintinance. If I bring the boat out before everything is done, I'll stay on the lake and nothing will be accomplished.

A lot of people on our side of Michigan also live in Chicago, so they don't come out till Memorial Day. Can't blame them though, boating isn't as fun when the water temp is 40.

Personally I feel secure when the boat is in storage, less likely that anything will get stolen. One everyone starts overnighting it's less likely something will get taken, everyone watches out for each other.

Although the boat is an expense, a 25' Checkmate is affordable. So I don't worry so much. Come Sept-Oct I'll still be out there though, might start the season late but once I'm on the lake nothing brings be back. Unless the house burns down.
Old 05-04-2002, 09:44 PM
Registered

I was having the same thoughts today, its nice and sunny but only in the high 60's. Kinda makes sense to get a boat with a windshield and some canvas to extend our boating season. Those formulas are looking pretty good.
Old 05-04-2002, 09:57 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Hey Midnightrider, as soon as I have my motor back in the boat (hopefully Tuesday or Wednesday) I'll be out there with ya!!! Usually I start in late March to mid April. Hard to do it without a motor though!! Believe me, it's grinding on me to NOT be out there!!!! And you know I boat like you do. EVERY WEEKEND. Even weekends with tornadoes!! And I know you remember the weekend I'm talking about.
Old 05-04-2002, 10:23 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

MIdnightRider,
I would be out there with you, if my trailer queen was running..!! I am dieing to go boating... Been way too long..

Hey Mike,
you should have been in Tx today with me.. Baja heaven.. and warm and tiny suits.. *S*
Place was alot like Shooters at LOTO!!

Glad to hear you are getting close to running.. I am hoping I can accomplish the same thing..

Dick
Old 05-04-2002, 10:55 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SuperV splashed his boat today in Holland. All I can say is WOW!, was that fun. Thanks Wade
Old 05-05-2002, 07:04 AM
Registered

Default Sissies who back out on ya'

Midnight,
I'm with ya dude, everytime I want to go out for the spring commissioning cruise all the sissies who say they're coming with me BACK OUT , well if they can't go with me in spring, why should I invite them in summer??? LOL!!!!
When I went in the end of March, there was one other Powerquest in Grand Haven, and some fishing boats in Muskegon Lake, but no one out on the big lake.
I made on other trip a couple weeks ago, and broke the shift mech. in my stbd drive, otherwise I would have been out last weekend-damn bravos ! What do people have boats and winter coats for if they don't use 'em?

http://community.webshots.com/album/34464505sJkwdf
Old 05-05-2002, 10:03 AM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

I'm splashing today in Holland. It will be the first time out with the new motor. I wanted to go on Saturday but, had to go to a wedding in Grosse Pointe. Got to see Lake St. Claire. Sure looked nice. The water was a beautiful shade of blue-green. Saw a few boats out. We passed a 29' Fountain being trailered on I-696 on the way over. Not the same as being out there myself, though. Can't wait. Gotta, Go!

See ya, Doug
Old 05-05-2002, 10:45 AM
Intolerant1

Ill be putting in at South Haven next weekend.

Old 05-05-2002, 11:12 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

new paint job is done just need to put the dash back together...ran with SuperV yesterday great fun.....but cool, just need to break out the snowmobile helmets! Our boats go in the rack storage at GreatLakes the 15th see ya soon!

Quick Reply: Michigan Boaters, Sunny and 80 only!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.