Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
MAJOR serious advice needed....... >

MAJOR serious advice needed.......

Notices

MAJOR serious advice needed.......

Old 10-30-2010, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAJOR serious advice needed.......

Gentlemen, I think I am screwed here..........in preperation for the engine install I started cleaning up the outdrive, transom and gimbal area.....while cleaning the gimbal bell housing I find this.....

Now I really can not figure out how it happened or what has actually caused it, is it the paint cracking? Hard to tell....it is not from being trimmed up too high, there are no other marks where it would have "pryed" against anything, is it from a "strike" ? Again, no other signs of that....the "crack" does not extend anywhere near the through pin which holds the housing to the gimbal ring....the bellows inside are intact and dry and I can not see any other damage anywhere....

Ideas on what this is and perhaps what caused it? Second and most important.....do I replace it or "hope" it is cosmetic???

We all know how much of a PITA it is to swap out as well as the $$ factor.....yes I know, "Better safe then sorry" but this is major $$$ that I can not really afford, even if I can find a suitable replacement, and I am thinking that this area of the housing does not really have any stress placed on it does it???

Your knowledgable input will be gratefully received...Jeremy

Pictures are on this link....

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=63593
Old 10-30-2010, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Let's hope for the best...
First sand down the area and see if there is actual cracking underneath on the gimbal versus just the paint having received some sort of impact and is lifting off.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pantera24
First sand down the area and see if there is actual cracking underneath on the gimbal versus just the paint having received some sort of impact and is lifting off.
Good advice, I realize the housing needs to come off, not looking forward to it.....and then I can see if it can be fixed or replaced....thing that gets me is what caused it, gimbal bearing is fine, U-joints perfect, no damage to inside of bellows......strangest damage I have seen.....
Old 10-31-2010, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pantera24
Sounds familiar