Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Real Cigarette? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/241762-real-cigarette.html)

Hang Time 27 01-27-2011 02:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's the only evidence I've ever seen that someone else copied the 20 foot Cigarette.

Glaspar, and they even called it the "Don". Don't know any more about them, other than these two pics.

They used a flat hatch, but then so did the early Cig 20's I think, and they also had the bilge vent on the side of the hull, in the same place the early Cig 20's did. Looks like the windshield is exactly the same 3 piece setup, except clear.

Sean 01-27-2011 03:00 PM

I've seen that first pic before and that is a pretty good copy...only difference is the steering is on the starboard side...on my old boat the steering is on the port side...

Sean 01-27-2011 03:15 PM

btw, i always thought that first pic was odd....and now the second pic...the people on the boat are bundled up like it is the middle of the winter...and yet they are towing a bathing suit-clad skier...

cosmic12 01-27-2011 04:46 PM

Thats interesting that Glaspar built one,never seen one but I did have an old G-3......cool little boat and very collectable these days.
Wish I still had that one, gave it away years ago.

ItsPeanut 01-27-2011 05:03 PM

Paging WOTW2E. Any progress or news.

offshoredrillin 01-27-2011 05:18 PM

early 20's would be set up however the buyer wanted them, a few of the originals including mine came with jet drives and were rigged by none other than Bobby Saccenti. helms were placed on either side depending on preference and some of them even came with a hot foot gas pedal. mine was a rescue from man eating vines and bushes out of Northeast Maryland.

Hang Time 27 01-27-2011 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Sean (Post 3309283)
btw, i always thought that first pic was odd....and now the second pic...the people on the boat are bundled up like it is the middle of the winter...and yet they are towing a bathing suit-clad skier...

too funny, I hadn't noticed that...... looks like same water conditions and same yellow jacked driver in both pics

Hang Time 27 01-27-2011 07:51 PM

You would think Glaspar must have had permission since they called thier boat the Don twenty ??

tommymonza 01-27-2011 08:03 PM

Brownie has got to know something about this one.

woogie 01-27-2011 10:52 PM

The wording in the brochure gives Don credit :

A bold new star joins the Glasspar Class of '74 . . . the Don Twenty. No ordinary boat, the special lines, the outstanding performance, stem from the fact the designer is Don Aronow of Cigarette Racing Boat fame. A triple threat boat . . . a proved racer, an ideal runabout and certainly the sportiest ski boat on any body of water.

Specifications:

Gunwale Length: 20'4"
Centerline Length: 19'7"
Maximum beam: 73"
Cockpit depth: 2'1"
Weight I/O: 2598 lbs. w/275 Chrysler
B.I.A. load capacity rating I/O: 994 lbs.
Bottom Contour: Deep-V