Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Swing away trailer tongue…. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/241792-swing-away-trailer-tongue%85.html)

dogghouse 11-02-2010 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by topgun 38 (Post 3244464)
Hey Nate, I say try it see what happens.

only you dude..... thanks! lol

dogghouse 11-02-2010 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by jmeng (Post 3244188)
Probably a stupid question Nate but are you trimming the outdrives down? Had to do that with mine when I kept it on the trailer. Dropped over a foot off of the overall lenght.

yep tried that...

dogghouse 11-02-2010 06:11 PM

I have surge brakes witch I’m going to remove regardless and put electric over hydraulic. I know I can cut the trailer and put a shorter tongue on it witch is probably the route I’m going to take and hopefully that will shorten it enough. I just wanted to see what you guys thought. I like the removable idea also….

Thanks for the feedback.

BY U BOY 11-02-2010 08:48 PM

My trailer has a removable tounge. Same concept as the receiver hitch on your truck. Has 2 pins that hold it in place. No issues with it since I have had it in 7 years. If I removed it I would say my trailer would be 2 feet shorter.

This is the route you should go over the swing away.IMO

2Slow4me 11-05-2010 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Jpzaluski (Post 3244222)
I manufacture large renewable energy trailers (mild steel) that regularly exceed 10k lbs. We often build trailers with either removable or swinging tongues for security or space concerns. As someone stated earlier, properly engineered anything is possible. I would look into either a telescoping tongue or possibly a sleeved tongue that you could remove. Just remember, overbuilding is NOT engineering.

See, I thought that could be done!

VetteLT193 11-05-2010 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by dogghouse (Post 3244749)
I have surge brakes witch I’m going to remove regardless and put electric over hydraulic. I know I can cut the trailer and put a shorter tongue on it witch is probably the route I’m going to take and hopefully that will shorten it enough. I just wanted to see what you guys thought. I like the removable idea also….

Thanks for the feedback.

shortening the trailer will change the balance. If it trailers fine as is, i.e., straight and it doesn't want to wander or wag, you should keep the length approx. the same to keep the balance the same.

Brad Zastrow 11-05-2010 09:31 AM

I would rethink the shorten the tongue idea. On a cat when you make a sharp turn the sponson tips can come real close to hitting your tow vehicle. Shorter could cause real problems.

US1 Fountain 11-05-2010 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by VetteLT193 (Post 3246882)
shortening the trailer will change the balance. If it trailers fine as is, i.e., straight and it doesn't want to wander or wag, you should keep the length approx. the same to keep the balance the same.

He's not changing the balance. The boat is staying at the same position over the axles. It may wag a little more with a shorter wheel base though if the tongue is cut shorter