Swing away trailer tongue…. >

Swing away trailer tongue….

Notices

Swing away trailer tongue….

Old 11-02-2010, 06:08 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts
I'll just give you the answer that I give most of our customers that ask if a given boat / trailer will fit in their garage. "If you back it in fast enough the first time..."
Old 11-02-2010, 06:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably a stupid question Nate but are you trimming the outdrives down? Had to do that with mine when I kept it on the trailer. Dropped over a foot off of the overall lenght.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:52 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What type of construction is the existing trailer?

I'd look into making it so the tongue could be slid back and locked into position. Construct it much like the receiver for your truck hitch... just longer and with a couple of real beefy pins.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 12 Posts

I manufacture large renewable energy trailers (mild steel) that regularly exceed 10k lbs. We often build trailers with either removable or swinging tongues for security or space concerns. As someone stated earlier, properly engineered anything is possible. I would look into either a telescoping tongue or possibly a sleeved tongue that you could remove. Just remember, overbuilding is NOT engineering.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen them on 34' boats, but it was a removeable tounge, it had to be bolted on and off, the dealer recomended you use an impact to tighten the six bolts. I think Ziemen out of Arizona made it.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:19 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

I am in heavy highway construction and all of our message board trailers and many larger trailers have removable tongues for anti-theft. They are heavy duty steel square box sleeves with two pins holding them in. They work on the same principle as a truck hitch into a receiver where the sleeve supports the weight and the pins just keep it in place.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I saw this pic on another site and wasnt sure the purpose of this type of trailer.
Attached Thumbnails -swing-away.jpg  
Old 11-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Yes, that's a very light duty version of what's being kicked around here.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:04 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Nate, I say try it see what happens.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom A.
I am in heavy highway construction and all of our message board trailers and many larger trailers have removable tongues for anti-theft. They are heavy duty steel square box sleeves with two pins holding them in. They work on the same principle as a truck hitch into a receiver where the sleeve supports the weight and the pins just keep it in place.
This is exactly what I was thinking. Everyone is saying it isn't going to be safe to have something fold away or removable but that is exactly what is on the back of all of our vehicles. the whole system rides on a single pin for most of us. so yes, it can be done, and it can't be that hard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.