Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Swing away trailer tongue…. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/241792-swing-away-trailer-tongue%85.html)

dogghouse 11-01-2010 08:01 PM

Swing away trailer tongue….

This may be a crazy idea but I’m just going to toss it out there so you guys can tell me what y’all think.

I have a 36 Spectre and on the trailer it’s a little to long to fit in my shop. I can always extend my shop and I’m not apposed to that but if I can install this tongue it will save me a good bit of money.

Will it work?

Thanks
-Nate

2Slow4me 11-01-2010 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by dogghouse (Post 3243980)
This may be a crazy idea but I’m just going to toss it out there so you guys can tell me what y’all think.

I have a 36 Spectre and on the trailer it’s a little to long to fit in my shop. I can always extend my shop and I’m not apposed to that but if I can install this tongue it will save me a good bit of money.

Will it work?

Thanks
-Nate

Never seen one on a trailer that large, and I doubt a pivot would be safe.

You might be able to make a sliding tongue. (similar concept like the hydraulic trailers the marina's use for multiple boats)

jayboat 11-01-2010 09:38 PM

No!

Does not sound like a good idea AT ALL. Think about all the force applied at that joint with a 10,000 lb boat bouncing along at highway speed.

Had a buddy back in NC with a Fountain CC- trailer was 18" longer than his garage. He cut a notch about 4" wide out of the garage door and let it hang out. Worked fine. :drink:

MiniHawk 11-01-2010 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by jayboat (Post 3244075)
Does not sound like a good idea AT ALL. Think about all the force applied at that joint with a 10,000 lb boat bouncing along at highway speed.

Had a buddy back in NC with a Fountain CC- trailer was 18" longer than his garage. He cut a notch about 4" wide out of the garage door and let it hang out. Worked fine. :drink:

Sent you PM..

X-Rated30 11-01-2010 10:20 PM

It would depend on the trailer. A good engineer could make a pivot for most trailers that would make the rest of the trailer the weak link. That being said, cost will become an issue. You might also want to consider aesthetics and ease of use.

Audiofn 11-01-2010 10:34 PM

Can you slide the boat up on the trailer, then move the bunks and axels forward and then cut off the extra off the back?

dogghouse 11-01-2010 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by MiniHawk (Post 3244076)
Sent you PM..

I did not get your PM.... my email is [email protected]

dogghouse 11-01-2010 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Audiofn (Post 3244099)
Can you slide the boat up on the trailer, then move the bunks and axels forward and then cut off the extra off the back?

I had a idea something like that also.... I can only go up about 2ft. I need 3ft.

Griff 11-02-2010 01:24 AM

I don't think it can be done safely for a trailer that large. I would just extend the shop.

Audiofn 11-02-2010 02:22 AM

Why can you only go up 2 feet? Can you get a picture of the front of the trailer up?