Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT: TV/DVD Player for SUV (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/24192-ot-tv-dvd-player-suv.html)

Phknlwyr 05-12-2002 03:52 PM

OT: TV/DVD Player for SUV

Mrs. Phknlwyr wants DVD/TV in her car for the kids when long road trips arise to go see my In-Laws. I have looked at both ceiling mounted screens (8") and headrest mounted screens (5"). I would be very grateful for feedback by others that have already taken the plunge who could guide me on which option (ceiling mount v. headrest) is better, what size screen(s) is optimal, and what products you recommend. The SUV is a 2002 Toyota Sequoia. Thanks!

MitchStellin 05-12-2002 03:56 PM

The headrest mount is easier to install but harder for all to see. The ceiling mount is nice but make sure you have a good installer since the headliner needs to come down. The head unit should also be mounted in a location that can be easy to reach for you and the passengers. Get the wireless headphones, they make for a very clean install. Good luck.

OutlawBayB 05-13-2002 12:17 AM

I agree, the kids & TV go great for long trips. Go for the celing mount. You would want to stay w/ a 6-8' screen. A 10' might be too big. Wireless headphones come w/ most dealers (ships). You can also get one or purchase an inverter so that you can hookup the playstation game center.

Note: the actual TV reception kinda sucks because the reception depends on where you're driving, etc. ALWAYS......ALWAYS have a couple of tapes/dvd's to interchange. Keep extra batteries, handy too. The kids usually forget to turn off the headphones when not in use.

It makes for a remarkeable difference in your travel plans!!! With a 5 yr old & 2 yr old, a 30 minute trip or 5 hr trip is bearable.:D

I'm not too sure on the products available to the general public (used to work for car dealerships), but make sure to take it back if you ever have any probs w/ your electronics-radios, lights, even car battery. Sometimes, if not properly installed, it can drain the battery.

Check w/ a couple of dealerships & I can help you out on what you should & should not pay for one from a dealer. Also check car audio / alarm / electronics stores. They have comparable stuff.:D

mcollinstn 05-13-2002 05:12 AM

Audoivox unit is a 6.8" flip down. Has the IR transmitter for the headphones in the unit so it doesn;t have to be mounted separately. Also has an eye on the unit for the remote (wire does have to run from the screen unit to the VCP and/or DVD). Headphones use AAA's but get good life and will auto-off themselves (I use rechargeable NiMH batts). Get a HiFi VCP (if you get one, which my kids still have scads of VHS tapes) really good sound from a HiFi unit. Be sure to run the extra set of input wires down to the floor for the Playstation, etc. and you do need a 140watt inverter. The Audiovox VCP works great, but doesn't have onscreen notice of whether it is in Rewind, FF, Stop, etc so you have to listen to hear it finish rewinding. Some other brands may have the onscreen notifiers (check to make sure they will work with the remote okay).

Before you mount any unit, have an installer work with you to determine whether it can be viewed from all the spots you want it to. Have him put a signal to it and you place your eyes at the exact level of the kids in the seats and see if you can see it okay. If you have kids in the middle AND rear seats, they will have to find a happy medium as to where to swing the screen. The farther FORWARD you place the screen, the better the chance that mid and Rear can both see it at the same time.

Have seen the Avoxs on Ebay for $300 for the display unit only. You might want to run double screens - one for mid seat one for rear.

10" is probably too big, in my opinion.

Jassman 05-13-2002 07:52 AM

We have a 8" in our Yukon xl Denali. It fits perfectly in the upper center console. It is easily viewed from middle and third seats, and has wireless head pieces. Sandy and I love it cause we can drive and talk and not here the little ****s saying: are we there yet. When we sell the vehicle they will pull it out and put 2black plug buttons which will look factory, the charge to take out was 50.00.:)

Audiofn 05-13-2002 08:33 AM

Go with the Pioneer set up. That way the kids can be watching a movie over the head phones and you can be listening to the radio as normal. They also have a navagation system in there that is real nice as well as XM radio and other things. I like their head rest units because they can be mounted up and then with the push of a button removed for when you do not need them in the car to protect agains theft of the system.

Jon

Phknlwyr 05-13-2002 12:29 PM

Thanks for all of your input everyone. You have made my task much easier and I can now buy with confidence.