Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Thoughts on giggle gas (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/242036-thoughts-giggle-gas.html)

SlowPlay 11-06-2010 02:46 PM

Thoughts on giggle gas

I have not seen really any boats with anything other then superchargers (or something to that effect).

Whats the thoughts on NOS?

That much HP all at once a drive killer? I would thing small shots in short runs probably wouldnt be "bad" but you would have to set the motors for it and would probably lose performance when not running the giggle.

or am i just talkn out my arse? I have spent alot of time around drag cars and just wonder if any of it applies?

phragle 11-06-2010 03:09 PM

Why??? Nos is for short bursts at WOT. offshore boats run distance. With a car, you have wheels rolling, NOS can help it accelerate faster, a boat has a prop and the prop is fairly specific to the motor, to benefit from NOS I would think you would need more prop, but more prop would hinder standard performance.. I could see it on a small light drag boat, but not offshore.

t500hps 11-06-2010 04:06 PM

NOS is good for short burst in a drag car/boat......when you see the Nascar boys (or similar) running the stuff for numerous laps then whatever system that is will apply to boats.

buck183 11-06-2010 06:14 PM

Do some thread searching on the topic. There are some very long discussions in the archives about NOS. It's been beat to death.

While you're at it, do a search on GPS speed vs land speed if you want some more good reading. :)

Buck

4mulafastech 11-07-2010 09:18 AM

Depends on the application...

1 Attachment(s)
Worked great on my Talon 22 with twin carbed 2.5 outboards. Additional 220 HP at the touch of a button using alcohol as the enrichment fuel. Great for radar runs (pictured) and recreational river drag racing. Very reliable if done right. Running lean is your enemy so exhaust pyrometers and good tuning are a must. I would not recommend nitrous oxide on a heavy boat.

GLH 11-07-2010 11:03 AM

There was a system in the MTI when we got it. It looked like it was rigged for the shootout.

We took all of it out.

SlowPlay 11-08-2010 12:29 PM

makes sense. i was just curious, when i did a search i didnt really find anything.

Griff 11-08-2010 01:38 PM

You really can't prop a boat correctly to run NOS.

VetteLT193 11-08-2010 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 3249023)
You really can't prop a boat correctly to run NOS.

I don't know about that. you could have one hell of a cruise speed and spray for top end. Granted, it won't work for some crazy high shot, but I think if I had a 50-75 shot shot per side on my boat I'd have a real chance to pick up 10 MPH top end with my cruising props vs. having to swap props out for great cruise Vs. great top end.

jeff1000man 11-08-2010 02:01 PM

I know some guys that have it....

something will break and it will cost you more than it would have to build it right from scratch