If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    the only thing that i remember about wrecking my 27 eliminator daytona was that when it was in the air it gets real quiet before it hits the water

Allergic to Nonsense Platinum Member T2x's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC
    Granite Quarry, NC
    Having backflipped in a tunnels a time or three, there are two words that go through your mind when flipping over backwards...... If you don't know the 2 haven't been there.

As far as cats go........generally speaking..... you probably need at least 110 mph to get a cat over 30 feet to go over backwards...100mph for 26-29 feet......and at least 80mph to blow one over between 21 and 25 feet. Barrel rolls, on the other hand can occur any where over 60 mph........45 if you're "spinning in" and have a heavy nose. A few years ago, one of the F-3 "California Cats" ran in the World's at St Pete. Every time it made the "Pier" turn it rolled way outboard...... (spinning in and nose heavy) was screaming (to me anyway)...."I'm going to go over"....and it about 55 mph. It hurt one of the guys on board pretty badly as I recall canopy....but one of those great graphics jobs.......It's a California thing.....$50,000 for paint...... $0.00 for safety.

Be careful out there............water is very mean at speed. For a truly informative example, try this experiment. Look over your boats transom at 25 mph. Try putting your hand down into the water and holding it there. Imagine what would happen at 50-100 mph. Now imagine that actually happening when you're upside down, skimming on your deck, with your body sticking up out of a bolster. ..........

Scary, aint it? Now you understand the reason why canopies are so important.....and why the Factory classes are the most potentially lethal in boat racing...... But, they're the ones with all the sponsoring boat can wait until "soon"............."again".

Platinum Member Platinum Member CigDaze's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Cigarette 35 Cafe Racer
    St. Petersburg, FL

Funny you mention that incident in St. Pete...We were just discussing that yesterday. I remember that well, as I too saw it coming from three laps prior...I remember that boat teeter-tottering with every pass around that turn. Finally, it happened. It was Thursday's race as I recall.

My Boats:
    1997 23' WPM Cat!!
    LaPorte IN.

I know what you mean!!!

In my younger days I used to do a lot of barefoot water skiing. I did many 42 MPH face plants and it does hurt. I always wore a protective wetsuit which helped take some of the sting out of the fall. I can't imagine hitting the water at 100 MPH, especially without wearing some protective gear. I still think it is a hell of a lot safer than a motor cycle or some of the other land sports that people are doing these days. Go fast and be careful!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123