Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Has anyone ran over a Pwc? >

Has anyone ran over a Pwc?

Notices

Has anyone ran over a Pwc?

Old 05-09-2002, 11:07 AM
Rxtreme

Question Has anyone ran over a Pwc?

Last weekend I was hauling ass down the intercoastal, and just bareley missed a guy on a personal water craft. is it just me or do these people not look at where they are going? I was just woundering if anyone has actualy ran one of these guy over before

Old 05-09-2002, 11:17 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How's this...I had one run over ME last summer! Took a chunk out of my port rear swim platform as he launched like a ski jump. This happened while I was coming off plane entering a no-wake zone. He apparently mis-judged my slowing down and launched. Could've been worse though, he couold've landed on me, on my fairing, or my high swim-platform could've been higher if I was flatter in the water and he would've had his head taken off. Instead he flew off to the portside. Needless to say they (PWC) make me even more nervous these days....
Old 05-09-2002, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't get me started...

I nearly hit several people on PWCs, when they inexplicably darted directly in front of my boat without so much as a glance...

The problem I see with PWCs is that they are relatively inexpensive, so the average Joe, with no boating experience at all, can go out and buy one and be on the water that day.

Most of the PWC operators I come across have absolutely no clue about the "rules of the road" on the water and who is to give the right of way to whom This is where the problem lies.

Now I am not an advocate of licensing or any regulations which would impede my ability to have fun on the water, but one day it's gonna happen and I blame the irresponsible operators for it.

My suggestion to any first time boater or PWC operator would be to take a course before you hit the water. Have some idea what the bouys mean... Have a general understanding of the rules of the road and responible watercraft operation.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:23 AM
Registered

Almost!!!

Had one approach from my port beam and had to veer at the last minute. Probably came within 15' of a serious crash. Those PWC drivers ought to be required to take a Coast Guard course. That doesn't address the renters though.

You have to really watch for them as they usually don't observe any traffic patterns whatsoever. They tend to run abreast through channels with their comrades while we have to squeeze over to accomodate them.

Serious problem.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:28 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

It is NOT you alone, the PWC riders seem to be obivous to their surroundings! Years ago, when I used to go to Lake Havafew in AZ/CA, I almost ran one over, (His fault!) and all he could do was give me the bird! I couldn't get my skier back in the boat quick enough to catch him and "School" him on HOW not to get killed driving his Lake Lice!
MD
Old 05-09-2002, 11:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, I had one near miss which was really hairy.
He must have missed my bow by inches as we were both traveling nearly 50 mph.

I was traversing a well-marked channel and was coming up on the stern of a larger cruiser. The cruiser is maintaining his speed as he should and is keeping to the starboard half of the channel also as he should. I see a couple of pwc'ers taking advantage of the cruiser's big wake well in advance. As I begin to veer port to overtake the cruiser, I am assured of the fact that the two pwcer's are aware of my presence as they looked over their shoulders and we made momentary eye contact.

Well, to my surprise, one of the a$$holes decides to turn 180 and dart straight for me intending to catch my wake. He somehow misjudged the cruiser's wake, gets airborne and of course can't steer while in the air.---Had I not slammed the throttle to idle and slow immediately, I would have taken off his head with my boat's pointy end. I lose sight of him for a split-second, but fortunately he resurfaced on the other side.

The other problem is that boaters for the most part, excluding races and such, maintain straight-line and predictable courses with the intent of going from point A to point B....Pwc's are built AND USED with the intent of screwing around and zipping around like insects.

Old 05-09-2002, 11:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep trying, but some of those little buggers are pretty quick...
Old 05-09-2002, 12:02 PM
Banned

Is there a daily limit on how many you can take per day?

One of my main gripes with them are at the ramp. They tie up like they have rented the ramp for the day, then carry their junk down to the ski. What really chaps my butt is when they take off at full speed from the ramp, throwing wake over everyone else who is docking or launching.
Old 05-09-2002, 12:02 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I have had several near incidents with these in spite of attempts to give them a wide berth. The problem seems to me to stem from the fact that most PWCers threat other boats as stationary objects as they weave their way up and down the lake. It just doesn't seem to occur to them that some of us might be traveling significantly FASTER than they are. Most of my near misses occur as I am overtaking and the PWC makes an abrupt 90 directly into my path.
Old 05-09-2002, 12:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You're right Laster,

That's my experience too! They fail to recognize the fact that they cannot simply take whatever course they desire---They must give way, when they are the give-way vessel(overtaken vessel)!

But alas, these are all concepts which are foreign to the casual weekend warrior PWC user.

Quick Reply: Has anyone ran over a Pwc?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.