Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Crash and burn, Kachina sucks azz even after it's demise. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/242199-crash-burn-kachina-sucks-azz-even-after-its-demise.html)

marineclean 11-10-2010 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by METAL BROS RACING (Post 3250208)
Tank Im good to go already, I won my suit and got a small judgement that helped take care of 75% of my legal bills, the 4 other parties are the ones that are screwed for between 100K- .5mil.
At least Kachina cant screw any more good boaters out there.

To all the scumbag builders out there, YOU REAP WHAT YOU SEW AND KARMA IS A MUTHAF*$KER!!!:greenchainsaw::waffen093::violent-smiley-045:

75% is better than nothing brother. I'm happy to hear you at least got that. You look around and wonder how select few have million dollar plus homes and expensive toys then you hear a story like this and the the bad apples are exposed. There's so many that work hard and honest to be successful then others that try and scam others out of everything they've worked for and built. Guess that's why some carry attorneys around in their back pocket. :eek:

baywatch 11-10-2010 02:55 PM

That is a very good point. Most of the time a quick search of all the cases an individual has been involved in will shed some light on what type of an individual you are dealing with. I realize stuff happens but some of these characters have dozens and dozens of lawsuits with their name attached to it.

Good news is that usually these schmucks get whats coming to them because it is a very small world and what goes around comes around!!

I actually looked at the Kachina's at one time because it seemed like so much bang for the buck. But then in looking closer at the boats and the lack of freeboard I was afraid it wouldn't suit itself to the typed of boating we do.

Jassman 11-11-2010 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by METAL BROS RACING
Thanks for the best wishes, I think sad is more an apt description than crazy, theses folks that think they are untouchable need to wake up, if you are breaking the law and someone comes along with the means and fortitude to make someone accountable then things will change, I'm that guy.

Ken, I commend you for that. Many times people will say ..I can't afford a law suit depending on the amount that they got swindled out of. As you put it, the ones that think they are untouchable will get it in the end, or pay to a higher power. I'm with you, just to prove a point, I will chase good money after bad, to expose people and let others know so that they don't get taken as well. Since this economic crunch has started, Ive never been in any litigation what so ever...Unfortunately, Ive got 3 lawsuits against scam artist, and the sad part of it all, we were all friends or business associates at one time.

People watch who you do business with. They will talk a good game, filled with lies to get your funds. . .check them out from one end to the other... It will save you in the long run..

VtSteve 11-11-2010 07:56 AM

It's hard to watch out for people like that when there always are a multitude of people willing to praise them. A quick online search revealed a RIP thread about him at RDP forum. http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forum...ad.php?t=35803 Once the truth hit the fan, another thread changed all that. Most forums try to keep these types of threads short and sweet, or deleted.

Just think of this year's threads alone. Truth comes out. Bad guys are so bold, they actually refute everything right online. Friends even support them. Someone complains about people bashing boat dealers, he wins. Later his name turns up as an indicted person in boat theft rings.

This certainly isn't the first thread about a boat paid for and never received. I do remember a famous brand that's still around and well liked that had this same problem.

The trend seems to be that it's much easier to be a crook and a liar right out in the open, than it is to get people to believe the facts staring them in the face. Attorneys well know that even axe murderers have friends, and they use them to refute pure facts all the time. There seems to be far more people willing to stand behind crooks than there are people willing to stand up to them. This forum and some others have pretty spotty records as to whether you actually get to hear about it or not. This topic was shut down four years ago? Possibly could have saved some people some money if left open to discuss.

But it's pretty amazing that in a relatively small industry, so many people get screwed so frequently.

marineclean 11-11-2010 10:05 AM

Looooong thread Steve. Did anyone ever get a final count of exactly how many got the shaft and lost their dream?

I believe researching a company or individual is the first point of business. Unfortunately, most don't seem to do that before trusting someone else with their fate. How many times have we read that "I need an attorney" has been posted.

Most of us are very trusting and take people at their face value because that's the way we were raised. A hand shake is supposed to be worth gold!!! We then find out later that the person we're doing business with is surrounded by lawsuits and has a team of attorneys on the payroll because their mo is promising others the world then scamming them out of everything.

I hope everyone involved in Kachina gets their money or at least their boats out of the building.

One other point that may help others is calling attorneys located in the city/state of the person your considering doing business with before hand. If you start getting dozens of "conflict of interest" replies or to go after that person again, we need a HUGE retainer, then you'll know what you're in for before it's too late.

BLee 11-11-2010 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by METAL BROS RACING (Post 3249876)
at least 4 people are in the exact same situation that I was in back in late 2005 with an unfinished boat that is completely paid for that they do not have access too

Yikes http://smiliesftw.com/x/inouteek.gif

I'm sure there's a reason you & these other folks paid Kachina in full for your boats before they were finished, but that's just too risky of a chance to take for my own sanity. At LEAST you got a pretty healthy chunk of your money back in the end.

There are too many stories exactly like this, that make it not worth it to give anyone the benefit of the doubt, when they are building you something essentially from scratch. Final payment to be made after a successful sea trial, and not a minute before that Mr. Boat Builder http://smiliesftw.com/x/coolsquint.gif

damdonzi 11-11-2010 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by LostinBoston (Post 3250620)
Thats a shame. Some of us learn the hard way. My dad is still owed over 100k by an OSO favorite because he paid for a boat they never built it. They even agreed to a settlement but never paid it.

Pantera?

grads2112 11-11-2010 12:52 PM

I'm sorry but the people that pay in full for a boat that is not complete are just nuts. I'm not saying these people deserve what they got but as they say on Monday Night Football...C'mon Man!

I can only speak from my experience, but when I bought my new boat from Eliminator back in '06, they did not ask for a penny until it was complete and water tested.

Anarchy Powerboats 11-11-2010 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by grads2112 (Post 3251314)
I'm sorry but the people that pay in full for a boat that is not complete are just nuts. I'm not saying these people deserve what they got but as they say on Monday Night Football...C'mon Man!

I can only speak from my experience, but when I bought my new boat from Eliminator back in '06, they did not ask for a penny until it was complete and water tested.

Kachina misrepresented the percentage of completion to gain draws much like in construction. Complete and outright lies to the customers and when they are out of state it is very hard for them to determine the truth about the actual level of completion.