If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    My Boats:
    2001 Advantage Victory 454 procharged

Counter rotating on a single

Any advantage of a counter rotating outdrive on a single. Looking at a boat and it has a coutner rotating lower unit. Would it help counter react the engine torque ?

Platinum Member Platinum Member Too Stroked's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Progression 22 w/ Diamond Marine Mercury 2.5 / 200
    Rochester, NY
    Some boats use left hand rotation props (Fountain 27' & 29's for instance) for a variety of reasons. Using a counter rotating drive in a single is very unusual. For one thing, it's going to make finding a prop a lot more difficult. Is it original to the boat or did somebody score a cheap drive because it was avaialble?

Gold Member Gold Member Shore Thing's Avatar
    My Boats:
    21' Paramount
    Hollywood, MD
    Yes. Counteracting torque is exactly what it is meant to do. The extent to which it helps depends on the hull. When i put bigger power in my velocity, i changed to counter rotating and it made a small improvement at high speeds.

Allergic to Nonsense Platinum Member T2x's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC
    Granite Quarry, NC
    Are you referring to duo prop drives?
    Obsolete and proud of it

My Boats:
    85 Baja Force 320
    Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
    I don't see why it would make finding a prop more difficult. Everyone that makes a RH prop makes a LH, and RHs are more desirable as that's what the majority of singles run. There's tons of LH wheels out there that are left over mates to scavenged RH prop users.