Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Bye Bye MSD-Built my own distributorless ignition (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/242419-bye-bye-msd-built-my-own-distributorless-ignition.html)

Young Performance 11-14-2010 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Airpacker (Post 3252700)
Eddie, why did you use the distributor mounted CMP instead of one on the timing cover and a magnet on the cam gear? Was it just easier because you still need the oil pump drive?

Very nice set up. Anything to get away from those MSC corrosion balls is a good thing.
Good job.

It was much easier than trying to put it in the cover. Same goes for when I use a Jesel belt drive. I would have to come up with several setups. This way, I have the same piece for all of them and an oil pump drive.
The cam position sensor is actually not needed. I can run it in wasted spark and not use the cam sensor.
Eddie

Young Performance 11-14-2010 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by C_Spray (Post 3252767)
If MSD is so good, why do all the NASCAR guys run TWO sets of electronics?.....

Nice setup, Eddie. Could you not use any of the Merc 525 stuff?

About the only item I could have used would be the cam sensing oil pump driving thingy (distributor):lolhit:

The coils I have are much hotter. Everything else is different and I don't want to pay Merc's prices.

Back4More 11-14-2010 12:25 PM

Great work!

Comanche3Six 11-14-2010 12:27 PM

Nice custom work!

cougarman 11-14-2010 01:04 PM

Nice work Ed !

Jon

Boat1 11-14-2010 03:49 PM

Very Impressive. Necessity is the root cause of most inventions.

dnebo 11-14-2010 04:21 PM

Can the costomer change their own timing, rev limmiter,ect? Is the software available?
Can a timming curve be created for each costomer.

CB-BLR 11-14-2010 04:58 PM

The Whipple Stage X motor that Dustin built for me has the same setup...no distributor at all..dual knock sensors..individual coils etc...It runs off the Mefi IV computer.

Chris

CAL MAN 11-14-2010 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by CB-BLR (Post 3252932)
The Whipple Stage X motor that Dustin built for me has the same setup...no distributor at all..dual knock sensors..individual coils etc...It runs off the Mefi IV computer.

Chris

Not that new, Dustin has the whole set up as well as a few others.

Young Performance 11-14-2010 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by dnebo (Post 3252912)
Can the costomer change their own timing, rev limmiter,ect? Is the software available?
Can a timming curve be created for each costomer.

No, the customer can not change the settings. There is some aftermarket software for making a few changes to a Mefi, but the ecm is password protected. Each engine does have it's own particular timing curve based upon what they have.
Eddie