Notices

Marine Audio questions

Old 11-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marine Audio questions

I've just stumbled onto some marine audio equipment that I need some info on. My dad had a 40' Fountain for the past 10 years, His business is doing poorly mostly due to the state of our economy, and is nearing social security, therefore he has decided to allow the bank to repo it since they would not negotiate a payment plan with him. He told me to come and rip out the stereo equipment and sell it because he had it installed. What I need to know is how to go about getting rid of it, and also what the stuff is worth approximately. I have two Babb 9.5" speakers, two Babb 6x9s, both of these are all white. Anyone know anything about these? Any ideas for getting rid of them? I think the speakers are pretty valuable from what little I could find on them, I just have no idea how to go about getting rid of them.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:52 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

It's possible the bank will still be after him for the balance of what is owed vs what the boat sells for at auction/repo site. Removing the stereo further reduces it's value and your father's potential judgement against him. I've bought repo'd boats where they were going after the previous owner for what I considered a large balance due.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by t500hps
It's possible the bank will still be after him for the balance of what is owed vs what the boat sells for at auction/repo site. Removing the stereo further reduces it's value and your father's potential judgement against him. I've bought repo'd boats where they were going after the previous owner for what I considered a large balance due.
He's paid on it for 10 years, he had the stereo installed. Whats done is done at this point. lol
Old 11-21-2010, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is not worth pulling it out, you will have to do more work pulling it out and then trying to sell it. Not worth it.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boating37
It is not worth pulling it out, you will have to do more work pulling it out and then trying to sell it. Not worth it.
Its already all out. Took about 1/2 hour.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

'Babbs' haven't been made for several yrs. They are now DC Gold.
While costly when new, used ones ain't going to be worth the hassle.

Are you planning on installing a cheaper set of speakers in place of the Babbs?
Old 11-21-2010, 06:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by t500hps
yes the bank will go after the deficiency. However once you "start letting things go back" It will just be one more judgment. If you get a judgment you never plan to pay back what does it matter if its $500 or $500,000. I have a stack of judgments that aren't worth the paper they are printed on. I'd love to collect on them but it will never happen.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:32 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Rottiguy
yes the bank will go after the deficiency. However once you "start letting things go back" It will just be one more judgment. If you get a judgment you never plan to pay back what does it matter if its $500 or $500,000. I have a stack of judgments that aren't worth the paper they are printed on. I'd love to collect on them but it will never happen.
Your right..but if you have other assets you plan on keeping someone "could" force your hand.

FYI: Years ago I had a judgement against a couple that lived on a sailboat in the carribean......$56K, try colllecting on that!!! Found a lawyer that would look for our $$ for a large fee. A couple years later they inherited a large piece of land in our state and he was able to tie the judgement into that land.....funny how all the sudden they had the money AND interest to pay us.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 1,323 Likes on 739 Posts

I have tried to sell brand new in the box car audio and can't get 30% for it.

That stuff may be worth $20 for everything and that is if it isn't dry rotted.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:47 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 903 Posts

The Babb speakers were about $200 a pair when new. Babb became DC Gold about 5 years ago, so the speakers are at least 5 years old. You might get $50 a pair for them.

You can get brand new DC Golds with the 3 year warranty for about $250 a pair now. They are good speakers, but I doubt you will get much for them used.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.