Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Offshore Racing: Two Is Enough—For Now >

Offshore Racing: Two Is Enough—For Now

Notices

Offshore Racing: Two Is Enough—For Now

Old 11-22-2010, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Is the horse dead yet? We keep beating it so it must be dead by now.

The death of this sport was when the courses got shorter and it went from offshor to inshore races. Offshore racing was not meant to have heat races and it has not worked for many years. The sport was designed to be an endurance test, not a sprint. I know, I know, you will lose "all" of the fans if you race offshore. Since there doesn't seem to be that many fans or that many boats, it might be worth trying something tried and true. OFFSHORE RACING!
Old 11-22-2010, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha brian you know I won bro so stop. lol how you been? I think I got my facts straight. I smoked the boys. I even got second in st pete with the grren go boat. congrats on your baby
Old 11-22-2010, 08:44 AM
Registered

Hey smokey, I am with you. the APBA aka American pond boat association ran on ponds a lot. Had to go to sbi to get the big water all the time. I live in NJ and they cancelled the AC race because of big waves. Bob Teague said it best when he commented its like this at ventura every day.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:00 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GLH
After having a very small interaction with Carbonell last weekend.

I understand the phenomenal growth of the KW races in the last ten years and that translates on the whole circuit.

No one that has earned any sort of resources that have always been needed to race at that level would deal for long with that kind of individual. The number of racers showing up going down every year shows it clearly.
Who do you think was one of the prime architects of the "fixing" of the sport back in the late 80's?
Old 11-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SVL-WARLOCK
Hey smokey, I am with you. the APBA aka American pond boat association ran on ponds a lot. Had to go to sbi to get the big water all the time. I live in NJ and they cancelled the AC race because of big waves. Bob Teague said it best when he commented its like this at ventura every day.
You would of never won anything if I hadn't give up Lance on the sticks - haha. I guess Toronto - Corpus , W. Palm , Islamorada were ponds. What ya been up to?
Old 11-22-2010, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 201 Likes on 80 Posts

Offshore racing isn't dead, it is just being "Born Again"

HORBA MARATHON CLASS RULES 2011

Class A 42 to 50 feet 3 or more engines
Class B 30 to 41 feet 2 engines
Class C 25 to 33 feet Outboards and Single Inboard
Class D 18 to 24 feet Small Boat Class
Class H Historic Open & Production class categories

Any hull design is allowed, Deep V, Cats, Trihulls etc. As long as the design is considered safe for ocean passage, it is allowed.

Boat measurement does not include any overhangs off the transoms, bustles, swim platforms etc. Measurement for length is taken from the bottom of the boat, where it joins the transom, to a line dropped from the bow.

Class C Outboards will be limited to a maximum of three motors with maximum horsepower of each outboard of 300. Outboard boats longer than 33 feet or with more than three engines of 300 HP each will move up to Class A.

Class H Historic outboards will be limited to a maximum of two modern era outboards, any horsepower, or three vintage era outboards. Vintage era outboards are 25 years old or older.

Starting time for the marathon classes:
8:00 AM Historic & Class D
8:30 AM Classes A – B - C

All classes run against the same elapsed time calculation. Historic and Class D boats will not have a 30 minute time advantage.

No turbines powered boats allowed.

Safety

We want the entrants to be as safe as possible, so we are still working with the concept of allowing canopy boats. Below are some ideas re allowing the canopy boats to compete. At this point .....they are suggestions, they are not finalized.

A.) No canopy boats unless each canopy boat provides it’s own helicopter and safety crew that will maintain it’s position over that boat for the entire length of the course. There will be no sharing of helicopters over more than a single canopy boat.

B.) Canopy boats may be altered for safety purposes by cutting the top off the canopy to allow safe exit from the boat by the crew in case of an accident. A specific sized opening will be required, as the European teams have.

We are still working with various rulebooks to come up with a complete rulebook of our own. Details will be coming in the next few weeks.

2011 Race dates

September 24, 2011 ...Don Aronow Memorial Around Long Island Marathon. Produced by National Powwerboat Association NPBA. Distance 271 miles.

November 5, 2011.....Bill Wishnick Memorial Fort Lauderdale to Key West Marathon Distance 215 miles

Date TBA....Grand Haven, Mich to Chicago and back. Distance 220 miles estimate

All classes will run the entire distance of the course for that specific marathon. Minimun marathon distance 200 miles. Fuel stops allowed if needed.

The Europeans will ship their boats over after the Cowes event in August 2011 and keep them here, for both the NY marathon and Florida marathon and then ship them back via Jacksonville.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:05 AM
Registered

Not much bro. Just selling boats and working the marina. We have locations in New Jersey, Philly and Lauderdale now. Keeps me busy. Trying to get the molds from carter so i can start making some boats. Other than that just settling down. Finally. lol. Man every time I go through GA I think of staying at your lake house. I had such a great time there. Beats the salt water any day. I heard your building sopme nice stuff. I also remember you showed me your facility were you were building a cool v bottom.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 1,324 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Offshore racing isn't dead, it is just being "Born Again"

HORBA MARATHON CLASS RULES 2011

Class A 42 to 50 feet 3 or more engines
Class B 30 to 41 feet 2 engines
Class C 25 to 33 feet Outboards and Single Inboard
Class D 18 to 24 feet Small Boat Class
Class H Historic Open & Production class categories

Any hull design is allowed, Deep V, Cats, Trihulls etc. As long as the design is considered safe for ocean passage, it is allowed.

Boat measurement does not include any overhangs off the transoms, bustles, swim platforms etc. Measurement for length is taken from the bottom of the boat, where it joins the transom, to a line dropped from the bow.

Class C Outboards will be limited to a maximum of three motors with maximum horsepower of each outboard of 300. Outboard boats longer than 33 feet or with more than three engines of 300 HP each will move up to Class A.

Class H Historic outboards will be limited to a maximum of two modern era outboards, any horsepower, or three vintage era outboards. Vintage era outboards are 25 years old or older.

Starting time for the marathon classes:
8:00 AM Historic & Class D
8:30 AM Classes A – B - C

All classes run against the same elapsed time calculation. Historic and Class D boats will not have a 30 minute time advantage.

No turbines powered boats allowed.

Safety

We want the entrants to be as safe as possible, so we are still working with the concept of allowing canopy boats. Below are some ideas re allowing the canopy boats to compete. At this point .....they are suggestions, they are not finalized.

A.) No canopy boats unless each canopy boat provides it’s own helicopter and safety crew that will maintain it’s position over that boat for the entire length of the course. There will be no sharing of helicopters over more than a single canopy boat.

B.) Canopy boats may be altered for safety purposes by cutting the top off the canopy to allow safe exit from the boat by the crew in case of an accident. A specific sized opening will be required, as the European teams have.

We are still working with various rulebooks to come up with a complete rulebook of our own. Details will be coming in the next few weeks.

2011 Race dates

September 24, 2011 ...Don Aronow Memorial Around Long Island Marathon. Produced by National Powwerboat Association NPBA. Distance 271 miles.

November 5, 2011.....Bill Wishnick Memorial Fort Lauderdale to Key West Marathon Distance 215 miles

Date TBA....Grand Haven, Mich to Chicago and back. Distance 220 miles estimate

All classes will run the entire distance of the course for that specific marathon. Minimun marathon distance 200 miles. Fuel stops allowed if needed.

The Europeans will ship their boats over after the Cowes event in August 2011 and keep them here, for both the NY marathon and Florida marathon and then ship them back via Jacksonville.
That sounds cool.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SVL-WARLOCK
Not much bro. Just selling boats and working the marina. We have locations in New Jersey, Philly and Lauderdale now. Keeps me busy. Trying to get the molds from carter so i can start making some boats. Other than that just settling down. Finally. lol. Man every time I go through GA I think of staying at your lake house. I had such a great time there. Beats the salt water any day. I heard your building sopme nice stuff. I also remember you showed me your facility were you were building a cool v bottom.
Carter...now there's a piece of work. You should let me build you a new 28 Joker .....If you come by this way give me a shout. Nice to see you're still in the boat business. You obviously love it like I do.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:55 AM
Registered

I would love to come by next time I am in the area. Love your place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.