Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Am I seriously crazy? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/242957-am-i-seriously-crazy.html)

Sick Nordic 11-23-2010 06:24 PM

Greg,
I am sure after your last experience you will be extra careful with the next purchase. You will never be happy until you get another boat. I saw the passion you have for the sport when I was with you in the Keys. Good luck and I am pm' ing my info so we don't bid against each other on anything!

thisistank 11-23-2010 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cash Bar (Post 3259216)
Am I seriously crazy?

YES!

Was there another question in there? :drink::drink:

Spicy 11-23-2010 07:02 PM

Do your homework and make it happen..... if you buy my 400SS I promise you a smooth transaction with no ISSUES!!!!:party-smiley-004::lolhit:

J/K, find the boat you want and go after it... you are actually ruining the expierance, half the fun of buying a new boat is the search for it, kind of like asking a Hot chick out and..... oh never mind you know the rest of that story!!!! :eek:

Can't wait to see what you get, see you soon.

Cash Bar 11-23-2010 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Sick Nordic (Post 3259799)
Greg,
I am sure after your last experience you will be extra careful with the next purchase. You will never be happy until you get another boat. I saw the passion you have for the sport when I was with you in the Keys. Good luck and I am pm' ing my info so we don't bid against each other on anything!

Thanks Brian. KW was great.

Next time you go don't commit to working in the pits. I mean, it's the Pits. LOL

I think I will do the Wed run next year. I like the extra day I think.

LostinBoston 11-26-2010 07:37 PM

Cash,
How bout this Black Friday special for you. 150k cash takes this boat. Title in hand waiting for you.
http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/5660 also willing to take a waterfront place in miami in trade.

wigginout 11-27-2010 08:00 AM

Cash, come on man. The only thing Gordon has now is a hot wife. Jimmie's won me a lot of six packs the past few years. Can't help you on a boat but will be more then willin to take test rides with you. We can go see each one in your new road toy. Would like to learn my way around the intercoastal anyway. Don't know if I want to bring mine down or look for a center console for down there during the winter. Heard there are lots of no wake zones and didnt want to have to run outside all the time.

Boat Boss 11-27-2010 12:12 PM

Another scam artist

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...,5614306.story

thisistank 11-27-2010 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Boat Boss (Post 3261913)

I really don't understand the mentality of this scam that seems so rampant through the boating industry. You can absolutely not get away with it unless you flee the country. It's going to catch up to you every time. What's the point? Live the high life for a year or two? Then prison for 10+? Doesn't seem worth it.

bob_t 11-27-2010 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by CLA (Post 3259580)
I only do cashier check. I don't hand over the money utill I have the boat on my hitch and the title in my hand. I make sure the owner/dealer faxes me a copy of the boat and trailer title front and back before I go get the boat.

My brother bought a baja back in the early 90's and did a wire transfer with a loan. Found out about 2 years later it had a salvage title. He never even looked at the title before buying the boat.

I've owned 9 boats over the past several years. Never had any issues, or scams, until this last one. I am very anal and do all of my homework, so I was really suprised when I got screwed. I bought a boat from an out of state boat dealer. I had it surveyed, had the paperwork checked out and thought everything was in order before ever contemplating sending a check ... it would have been no different if I was standing next to the scumbag, in person. He faxed me a copy of the title, which was their name and a bank, which was no suprise, since many dealers don't outright own the boats on their lots. I got a notarized original bill of sale from their dealership with their full marine contract on the back, signed by the dealership owner, notarized and signed by me. To make a really long story short, I got the boat, just as described, but he kept making excuses why I didn't yet have the title. He said it would take up to 30 days to get me the title ... the marine contract also said the same, which is typical verbage. After two months, I contacted the bank. He had never paid off the bank and now that they knew I had the boat, they wanted to come get it! :eek: ... sounds alot like National Marine, but it wasn't them. At that point things got really ugly. Unfortunately, the court system said that I would have to file civil suit because boats were not under DMV in that state .... so, sorry about my luck. I eventually got it settled, he paid the bank, they transfered the title to their dealership and then their dealership to me, but it nearly cost me my marriage, and me, very close to a nervous breakdown.

What I did wrong, it turns out, I should have put their name AND the bank's name on the cashiers check, not just the dealer. Also found out that I was not the only person that dealership had screwed. Even after 8 flawless transactions, what I learned was don't ever make a check out to ANYONE other than ALL of the parties on the title, INCLUDING, the lienholder, if there is one. If the seller (including dealers) won't show me a copy of the up-to-date title, I'll just walk away ... someone else can have the headache.

Jassman 11-27-2010 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by bob_t (Post 3261925)
I've owned 9 boats over the past several years. Never had any issues, or scams, until this last one. I am very anal and do all of my homework, so I was really suprised when I got screwed. I bought a boat from an out of state boat dealer. I had it surveyed, had the paperwork checked out and thought everything was in order before ever contemplating sending a check ... it would have been no different if I was standing next to the scumbag, in person. He faxed me a copy of the title, which was their name and a bank, which was no suprise, since many dealers don't outright own the boats on their lots. I got a notarized original bill of sale from their dealership with their full marine contract on the back, signed by the dealership owner, notarized and signed by me. To make a really long story short, I got the boat, just as described, but he kept making excuses why I didn't yet have the title. He said it would take up to 30 days to get me the title ... the marine contract also said the same, which is typical verbage. After two months, I contacted the bank. He had never paid off the bank and now that they knew I had the boat, they wanted to come get it! :eek: ... sounds alot like National Marine, but it wasn't them. At that point things got really ugly. Unfortunately, the court system said that I would have to file civil suit because boats were not under DMV in that state .... so, sorry about my luck. I eventually got it settled, he paid the bank, they transfered the title to their dealership and then their dealership to me, but it nearly cost me my marriage, and me, very close to a nervous breakdown.

What I did wrong, it turns out, I should have put their name AND the bank's name on the cashiers check, not just the dealer. Also found out that I was not the only person that dealership had screwed. Even after 8 flawless transactions, what I learned was don't ever make a check out to ANYONE other than ALL of the parties on the title, INCLUDING, the lienholder, if there is one. If the seller (including dealers) won't show me a copy of the up-to-date title, I'll just walk away ... someone else can have the headache.

A lot to learn from this post. It irritates me that stuff like this has to happen, I hate a theif and or scammer. Thanks for an informative post. Jeff