If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Boats:
    36' Apache Warrior
    Elkton, MD
    Quote Originally Posted by richanton View Post
    Just fill the tank and miles traveled vs. fuel burned?
    In the beginning I would fill the tank, run it the weekend, then fill it back up the following weekend noting the number of gallons. Then I would look at my GPS to see how far I traveled.

Once I figured out my fuel consumption it really helped when traveling on long trips because you can tell how much range you have. A few years ago when I traveled to Patchogue for the OPA races I was able to use google maps to figure out how far of a trip it was and estimate my fuel consumption. If I needed to stop for fuel I could map out my trip in the gps to make sure I don't run outta fuel.

Another example, if I only need 1/2tank for a trip, I make sure I have 3/4 tank and that's all I put in it. The boat runs better, gets better fuel economy and cruises 1-2 mph faster than if it has a full tank. It's not and exact science but it's pretty darn close!

My Boats:
    37 Midnight Express INC. Closed Deck QUAD 250 Mercs
    Ocean Pines, Maryland. Wish I was at MANGOS in MIAMI!
    Cruise speed..12 gallons an hour a piece x 4

Full throttle ...approx 25 gallons an hour a piece x 4

And when idiling around I only use two outer engines to save a little fuel.

My Boats:
    1999 28Skater, 2008 300XS: 28 Pantera Race 6 pax, 10 meter Fountain
    Atlanta / Ft. Myers Fl.
    My Sc5000 screen shows a burn of 30 gal. per hr @90mph in my 28 Skater with 300xs motors.Not bad 3mpg @90!!

Platinum Member Platinum Member animalhouse's Avatar
    Warwick, RI
    SL 44 OL with (2) 1375 OPL EFI, cruise 95-100mph @ 4200 RPM (with conservative prop and gear ratio) 1 mpg. back it down to 80mph cruise and 1.5 + mpg (just an estimate because I never have the self control to back it down) and if you push it forward to 144 mph a 6200 rpm, then the gas guy gets paid.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123