Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   SEA STRAINERS..........question? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/24338-sea-strainers-question.html)

enticer 05-14-2002 10:50 AM

SEA STRAINERS..........question?

How are strainer's routed. From the water to the pump and then into the strainer to the motor...........or from the water to the strainer and then to the pump.
The reason for the question is my friend and I both installoed strainers. mine have no problem getting water on the hose. His has a real hard time getting water to the motors on a hose. He even has a large container with a pump mounted in it to pump water to the motor...still no go. Raised water pressure at the source......only one engine gets water...not very well. He shuts down...not wanting to burn out the impeller again

Katdrvr 05-14-2002 11:02 AM

should be from the through hull, to the strainer, to the pump.
can you tell if the strainer is getting water to it? Does the through hull fittinghave a shut-off valve? does any water come out the exhaust?

mike

thunderdan 05-14-2002 11:22 AM

I agree with katdrvr, from the pickup source, to the strainer, then to the pump. Check to see if your buddy installed a petcock after the pickup source and before the strainer. I have once or twice after flushing my motor, left the petcock closed and started up my engine and wondered why I had no water pressure on my guage. woops.....I actually have a wire tie that I use when running to ensure that this vavle stays open and does not rattle closed.

How is his run?

enticer 05-14-2002 03:00 PM

both setups are thru the outdrive to the strainer then to the pump. His does not get water all the time. last season on dewinterization...he burnt up an impeller...so now he is gun shy. I actually think it's the diaimeter if the hose and pressure
Mine (cat) had no problem getting water...no doubt not enough for what the boat needs ...but yet enough to run it on dry ground

thunderdan 05-14-2002 04:44 PM

and he has no water pressure problems when running in the lake/river/ocean, only when on land? If so, how are you both feeding the water to flush? Are you running ear muff with the outdrives or do you have a hose conection?

Tinkerer 05-14-2002 05:10 PM

It is sucking in air somewhere.

enticer 05-14-2002 11:54 PM

They are Bravo 1's LWP's...they always have been the hardest to flood

Tonto 05-15-2002 12:52 AM

I agree with Tinkerboater, got to have an air leak, or a blockage in the LWP in the drive. The hose from the drive to the strainer and from the stainer to the raw water pump should be reinforced with wire to prevent the hose from collapsing under suction. Try hooking the garden hose to the engine hose before the stainer and back-flushing the through dive to see if the water comes out freely. If your friend burned an impeller last fall, did the veins on the impeller come apart? If so, you need to find all the little pieces of the impeller, usually at the first cooler after the raw water pump. I hope that this helps.
Robert