Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   More changes at Fountain (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/243475-more-changes-fountain.html)

DollaBill 12-05-2010 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by catastrophe (Post 3267545)
If the dealers take on that floorplan idea they will be the next guys being walked to the curb by the beancounter from Liberty Associates.

Its not the environment to do that in now.

You've got to be crazy to get into a 5mm floor right now. Or maybe ever again...

My first FP to take on Fountain was only $1mm. I did 3-4MM a year wholesale with them on that 1mm alone. You don't need any more than that to make it work. And that was almost 10 years ago........

Catastrophe 12-05-2010 03:34 PM

I agree.

Debt is debt..........I dont care what the source is.

Jupiter Sunsation 12-05-2010 05:18 PM

On top of the debt/sales issue, how many buyers have been spoiled by the "inventory blowout prices" on leftover models. If you could buy a new leftover 08 38 Lightning w/525's for 189K (asking) how is a dealer going to ask 350K for the same boat as a 2011 model?

Expensive Date 12-05-2010 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation (Post 3267641)
On top of the debt/sales issue, how many buyers have been spoiled by the "inventory blowout prices" on leftover models. If you could buy a new leftover 08 38 Lightning w/525's for 189K (asking) how is a dealer going to ask 350K for the same boat as a 2011 model?

Just wait three years then they can move it at 179k.

Jupiter Sunsation 12-05-2010 07:06 PM

Banks are going to need a few years to forget about the beatings they took on boats, airplanes, rvs and other toys. The housing bust was hard enough on them and those "assets" couldn't move/get stolen/stripped etc.

I recently heard of a guy with 20MM in assets get turned down on a new 4MM yacht with a 1MM downpayment. Bank didn't want the risk, if it repo'd the yacht the 1MM wouldn't even cover year 1 depreciation. Buyer didn't want to pay cash for it, thought cash was way more important than a boat so NO SALE.

bms26 12-05-2010 07:59 PM

Prices have got to come down on new boats. In the last 10 years boat prices have sky rocketed! The average joe blow could only afford a new boat because of the crazy (dumb) 10 - 20 year loans the banks were offering. This is what got the boat industry in trouble in the 1st place. Now that banks are not financing anyone for crazy long terms, things are going to have to change.... 28 ft single engine's for over 125k ? Come on, how many "normal" people can afford that?

Baja555 12-06-2010 04:52 AM

Fountain should have worried about making his boats more affordable rather than trying to prove how fast they are to everyone.. then maybe the company wouldnt be bankrupt.. just my 2 cents..

Jassman 12-06-2010 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by bms26 (Post 3267797)
Prices have got to come down on new boats. In the last 10 years boat prices have sky rocketed! The average joe blow could only afford a new boat because of the crazy (dumb) 10 - 20 year loans the banks were offering. This is what got the boat industry in trouble in the 1st place. Now that banks are not financing anyone for crazy long terms, things are going to have to change.... 28 ft single engine's for over 125k ? Come on, how many "normal" people can afford that?

The price of materials also would have to come down... and I do not see that in the future. I know resin has gone up approx. 35% since 06... To many factors, and to be honest, if these builders were making so much money over the top, even with slow sales, why are the majority of them out of business. Tough times right now, but I do see a light at the end of the tunnel.