New Intercoolers for big power >

New Intercoolers for big power

Notices

New Intercoolers for big power

Old 12-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolerman
Dustin, this is exaclty the reason why we went went with copper tube and fin cores 10yrs ago when alum was the only option. The joke at the time was that a pallet of old alum intercooler cores would make nice lawn sprinklers.

There is a 38' cig with PSI's that ran copper tube and fin cores of ours for 10yrs with zero issues. The previous intercoolers that we built and ran with our PSI's for 5 years had zero issues as well (these were copper tube and fin cores as well). We have live temp gauges on our dash and we can see when a small back fire does occur, although, it seems to be very rare. The back fires in no way, shape, or form have disturbed/damaged our cores.

-Jason Parvey

Copper is more prone to corrision then CuNi. I tried the copper exposed fin years ago, didn't work so well. Copper is great for thermal conductivity, thats why we use copper air fin. We just use Cupronickel on the water side because it offers superior corrision resistance. Also, round tube has far less cooling surface then rectangle bar's. Bar and plate has been found to be superior in almost all applications.

Your also showing a measurment of 4" for the water tank, but looks close to 3" of actual core.

Wish you luck, we've got something new coming so I love the competition, great for business and great for the customers getting bigger and better product. Anytime you want to do some back to back test, just let me know.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:55 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
Copper is more prone to corrision then CuNi. I tried the copper exposed fin years ago, didn't work so well. Copper is great for thermal conductivity, thats why we use copper air fin. We just use Cupronickel on the water side because it offers superior corrision resistance. Also, round tube has far less cooling surface then rectangle bar's. Bar and plate has been found to be superior in almost all applications.

Your also showing a measurment of 4" for the water tank, but looks close to 3" of actual core.

Wish you luck, we've got something new coming so I love the competition, great for business and great for the customers getting bigger and better product. Anytime you want to do some back to back test, just let me know.
Just to clarify, our fins are copper and the tubes are Cupro Nickel. Sorry about that, I wasn't clear about that earlier.

Regarding the cooling capacity of "bar & plate" vs "tube & fin", yes bar and plate has traditionally had a better cooling capacity, BUT, there are alot of variables as you know. We are also using a different fin profile This design has worked flawlessly for 10yrs in one application and 5yrs in another. We are just making it over 2x nastier now.

Our core is 3.25" thick with the case inlet having a large radiused edge going to a 3/8" air travel space allowing the blower discharge to reach all parts of the core. Also, tube and fin allows the air to travel much better horizontally around the core than bar and plate.

Regarding testing, we should be dynoing the first week of Jan and results will be posted. We have already spoken with some engine builders that have your products and are interested in doing some back to back testing.

And Dustin, I genuinely think that whipple products are some of the best in the marine and automotive business. Obviously you guys have great resources, but like you said, a little competition is good for everyone!
-Jason Parvey

Last edited by Coolerman; 12-08-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:51 PM
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Gary, thanks for the post.

Here are some pics with the billet cases. We will be getting the cases polished, and there will be an option to have them anodized in several colors.

We are tentatively set to be testing the first week of January.

-Jason Parvey
This is what I'll be using on top of these intercoolers.
Attached Thumbnails New Intercoolers for big power-dsc01026.jpg   New Intercoolers for big power-dsc01025.jpg   New Intercoolers for big power-dsc01027.jpg  

New Intercoolers for big power-dsc01028.jpg   New Intercoolers for big power-dsc01030.jpg  
Old 12-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by EXCESS ENERGY
This is what I'll be using on top of these intercoolers.
Tell Saxman that he should polish their PSI's like that also! Nice looking.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by endeavor1
Tell Saxman that he should polish their PSI's like that also! Nice looking.
Thanks. These are a piece of art work. Bob
Old 12-08-2010, 07:41 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Thanks. These are a piece of art work. Bob
My kind of "performance" art!!

Also, I will include a complimentary bucket of mothers polish with your shipment of intercoolers Haha, they look great Bob!

Now where did I put those 200% pulleys...... lol

Last edited by Coolerman; 12-08-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

My kind of "performance" art!!

Also, I will include a complimentary bucket of mothers polish with your shipment of intercoolers Haha, they look great Bob!

Now where did I put those 200% pulleys...... lol
Thanks Jason. I'll take some of those 200% pulleys. HaHa Bob
Old 12-09-2010, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

better get to polishing that carb plate too!
Old 12-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by SHAWN DAVIS
better get to polishing that carb plate too!
That will be taken care, of after we moch up the linkage,carb spacers and fuel log at the rear of the spacers. Bob
Old 12-09-2010, 05:35 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

That will be taken care, of after we moch up the linkage,carb spacers and fuel log at the rear of the spacers. Bob
I have a fuzzy memory.... Are you going with pro-systems carbs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.