Any progress on the I-68 thing? >

Any progress on the I-68 thing?

Notices

Any progress on the I-68 thing?

Old 05-14-2002, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any progress on the I-68 thing?

I wondered if anybody learned anything new from the meetings last weekend?
Old 05-14-2002, 03:00 PM
wilerty

I attended a 1000 Islands Power Boat Club meeting this last Saturday and we had an officer from the INS speak to us. This is what he stated.

The rules for entering the US have not changed ... but they will be more enforced.

If you go to Canada, when you return you and anyone else on the boat must register at a videophone with the INS or go to an INS office. In my case this would be the town dock in Alexandria Bay for the videophone or the INS/Customs office at Boldt Castle. This would have to be my first stop back in the US.

If I want to go to my marina directly or stop someplace else there is another option. I can go to the INS office on Welsley Island and take a photo ID and obtain an I68 for myself for $16 or $32 for my family. All family members over 14 must be on the form and be present when we get ther form. If I have an I68 then I can return from Canada and call the INS from anyplace to check in. EVERYONE on the boat must have an I68 or you still have to go to the videophone or INS/customs.

At this point in my area, many, or should I say most, well, probably 95%, of the boaters don't check in at all(returning to US). It looks like we're going to have to start doing this correctly. It must be very easy for them to get a list from Canada of those people who went to Canada. One more way 9/11 will change our lives.

Last edited by wilerty; 05-14-2002 at 03:48 PM.

Old 05-14-2002, 03:15 PM
Registered

Thanks wilerty,

Thats what I was looking for. This is the procedure if you go ashore Canada... right. Did they get into just casually going through Canadian waters, without going ashore?
Old 05-14-2002, 03:26 PM
wilerty

If you drop an anchor or touch land in Canada, then you must check-in in Canada and in the US when you return. If you are just passing through ... you don't have to talk to either.

THis was the US INS officer talking ... he did not know of any changes in Canada.

Old 05-15-2002, 01:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks wilerty

That was a very good explaination. How big is your boat?
Did they say anything about needing a user fee decal for boats over 30 feet in length?
Cordell
Old 05-15-2002, 09:14 AM
Registered

Good question, I've been on the public docks alot for the past 3 years and have never noticed a video phone. Where is it?
Old 05-15-2002, 09:34 AM
Registered

I wonder if this would be the same for Washington State. We go to a poker run in Vancouver BC and I thought about boating up instead of trailering through the border. Anyone from around this area?