Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Need Advice Please (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/24360-need-advice-please.html)

SLINGSHOT 05-14-2002 03:09 PM

Need Advice Please

HELP..........AS MOst of you know my slingshot is for sale. as I am hot to trot for a 32 skater with trip 300xs.......but what is the pros and cons vs. the two i realize they are two different style boats.
my slingshot runs in the mid 90's and the skater runs between 115-121mph. I am 24 with no kids so its just a matter of choice . I like the rough water but where I am at we just dont see it, anyone have any advice on whether I should just shut up and keep it or go for the skater? thanks

p.s. I should add that the skater does have a half ass cabin

SummerObsession 05-14-2002 03:12 PM

I would think that a 24 years and no kids, you should go for the Skater. Trust me, youwill have plenty of time later in life to put cabin amenities on the top of your "to buy" list.:D

ssherman 05-14-2002 03:23 PM

Slingshot,

Are you married?

here is a brief history of boats and why. I bought a 28 Skater when I was 20 I loved the boat and had a girlfriend and everytime she wasnt around the other chicks just went crazy after a ride here in lies the problem they are all primed and no cabin????? I then bought a 32 Active thunder because I was now single and wanted a cabin for uhh (storage) and in the process of it being built I met and got engaged to my wife. I am now divorced and pondering the same question you are. I think the ultimate of both would be a 42 outerlimits with 900sc's or a 37 dry sump sixes and full cabin with a/c and gen or a 50 nor-tech with trip 800's. I however am not in that league financially so i have came to the conclusion I could buy an older 28 or 32 skater for about 75K with new power and a 400 sea ray express for less than 150 k but I personally am going to keep the active thunder until i can do a outerlimits or a big cig. just my .02 and why. How do you boat and do you raft up alot? I have the luxury of having alot of friends with cruisers that i just raft to.

cigarette1 05-14-2002 03:31 PM

Single ... with no stabbin' cabin .... what are you thinking:D

SummerObsession 05-14-2002 03:38 PM

Cig1::D :D :D :D
Apparently I wasn't. Thinking that is.

djm 05-14-2002 03:44 PM

re

Your gonna miss the sound of big blocks. Where in NJ?

Cattitude 05-14-2002 03:50 PM

Cats have enough cabin for "storage"

If you don't have seat time in a cat like you are considering, get some. I'm in a different range of boat- single 25' but my cat does so well for it's size in terms of performance, handling and rough water.

I may be married, but I still find there is ample room for storage and i've even overnighted with my wife on cooler nights. The Daytona has 3" padding and a quite generous flat floor area. The low ceiling does have it's uses and advantages for storage purposes as well.

If you need more room for storage than I have in my cat you need to have smaller storage parties (no more than 4 storage units) or perhaps your storage unit of the moment is simply too large:D

Bottom line, you won't find too many cat guys going back to deep V's.

Good luck- wish i had your kind of Dilemma when i was 24:D

SLINGSHOT 05-14-2002 03:53 PM

not single......but not married

south jersey

Dean Ferry 05-14-2002 04:07 PM

Sling,
Have you ever owned a cat? They are a totally different boating experience that a v, even one as nice as yours. IF you want to run fast and hard, a cat is tough to beat! There are few creature comforts on cats, except the really big ones. A tough choice between 2 really nice boats, but try to think back about what kind of boating you did last year with the 388?
Hope this helps,
MD

SLINGSHOT 05-15-2002 09:50 AM

thanks

MY brother has a 39' express cat.......so I am bit by the bug...its just that it is obviuosly not a 32 skater. I just want to run hard and not worry about anything but then I dont want to give up the hustler and say that the skater totally is not for me because of some reason that maybe cat guys in the same category deal with day to day like sitting and no standing or other cat habits

who knows thanks for the advice...now if I could only find a buyer