Pneumatic Fuel offloading pump? >

Pneumatic Fuel offloading pump?

Notices

Pneumatic Fuel offloading pump?

Old 12-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out the picture on the battery charger thread. This picture also shows a fuel transfer electric pump we use to move fuel in and out of the boat. Just turn the battery switches, hook up a inexpensive "air" hose, set the valves for "in or out" and flick the switch. It will transfer 55 gal in about 30 min.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:11 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

check out penumatic diaphram fuel transfer pumps @ american lubrication.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
A couple people have suggested using something like this:
http://www.mr-gasket.com/ProductDeta...minselection=1
...attached to a car battery or jump box.

I was hoping to take advantage of my air compressor for a little additional safety, (whole electric/fuel thing wigs me out).

But the suggested systems have worked well for others so I'll give this a try.

Thanks for the PMs gents.

I have used that set up to pump out 150 gallons when i pulled my motor for rebuild just takes a while but works great
Old 12-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

we had to empty two tanks out of a nautica RIB. wrapped the compressor hose with a rag, shoved it in the fill. then on top of the tank we just disconnected the fuel line going to the engine, put that in the gas can, and shot compressed air through the system. just make sure to tape the vents closed. It worked fine for us, maybe 15 minutes to empty 20 gallons. just be careful with the pressure, you only need a few PSI or you can probably cause some problems
Old 12-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Elite Marine
Buy an electric fuel pump....thats what they are made for.
Yup, that's work for me many times. Regular ol Holley pump and a jump pack. Either thru the pickup hose, or thru the fill hose. Simple and does what it does.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple

Fil-rite Makes an electric pump fuel transfer pump 12 volt model and a 110 model I have used my 110 model for ten years it will pump a 54 gallon drum of 112 race fuel in about 4 minutes. Your waisting your time with anything else. Its as safe as you make it.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:23 AM
Registered

Well every boat is a little different but on my Nortech I had elec. pumps feeding mechanical pumps on the motors. I took the line off the output of the elec, pump put a hose on it tossed it over the side put it in a drum and turned the key on. Did 350 gal. in about 4 hours, switched to another motor about half way to keep from overheating the pump.

Now on my setup for fueling I have a 55gal. drum in a trailer with a Carter Blue pump on it and a 10 foot cord with a 12v cigarette lighter on my tractor, drive the tractor down the dock put the hose in the boat plug the cord in tractor takes about 15minutes. Just dont walk away, without a safety shut off you want listen for when it starts to fill up.

As far as being scared about an elec. pump around gas ? I would say that 99% of cars built in the last 20 years have an elec. pump in the tank that some guy making $3 a day in some 3rd world country made. So I wouldnt worry too much, you have to be real carless to have a problem
Old 12-08-2010, 09:29 AM
Registered

irvansmith.com Has the transfer pump your looking for. I think the transfer rate is 600 gals/hr. It will drain my 36 Skater tanks in 15mins. They have mounted the pump and hoses are in a custom made aluminum case has viton seals can be use with any fuel. Was designed to drain tanks on race cars before they go back in the race shops. (OSHA) pima. The pump operates on compressed air no sparks a big plus. Little pricey but does the job safe and easy.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by LapseofReason
As far as being scared about an elec. pump around gas ? I would say that 99% of cars built in the last 20 years have an elec. pump in the tank that some guy making $3 a day in some 3rd world country made. So I wouldnt worry too much, you have to be real carless to have a problem
Gasoline vapors are what blows up.

I had a garage fire back in 2000. I had a waverunner trailer with 6 - 6 gallon plastic gas jugs that were full. in garage. When the fire fighter were going into the garage I told them to be carefully, and told them about the jugs. After the fire was out my wife and I were walking thru what was left and she made the comment that she smelled gas. I looked over where the gas jugs were and they were about 6" shorter with a liquid on top. I though the liquid was water from the firefighters. After checking I reallized it was gas. I was suprised they had not blowen up in the fire since it had gotten so hot that aluminum had melted. Every investergator that came to look for cause of fire I asked about the gas jugs and everyone was supprised to see them sitting there with gas still in them. Finally a few days latter the insurance company sent over an investergator to see if he could find the cause. I asked him about the jugs and he said if they had been metal the heat of the fire would have caused them to explode. Since they were plastic tank he said that as the fuel vaporized there was probably a flame on the top of the tanks.

You can never be too safe with gasoline and make sure nothing sparks when there are vapors around.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:01 PM
Registered

how are you disposing of 55 gallon barrels of fuel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.