Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Reggie Fountain: Still at Fountain (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/243654-reggie-fountain-still-fountain.html)

Twin O/B Sonic 12-09-2010 04:32 PM

A friend of mine was at Reggies place and said he has a huge picture of himself on the wall just inside his front door.
What's the term I'm thinking of......,oh yeah Napoleon attitude.
I'm impressed. New owners can't screw up worse than he did.

DollaBill 12-09-2010 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by catastrophe (Post 3270327)
Bill

Give me your impression, respect your viewpoint.

COMPLETELY HYPOTHETICAL

Reggie goes away...no fight.

He starts Fountain #2

Complete straight up new company. No splash of Fountain molds... no trickery....no cheating or accusations of misdeeds.

He takes a couple of his tech guys, has a good shop and uses Merc Power and same quality of drives guages interiors etc.

The new company is known to be well financed and will be around in the future.

WHO WILL THE PUBLIC BUY FROM ???

Reggie or the Beancounters ?

Fountain #1 will be out of business in 180 days. Then, as stated, he WILL buy back the factory at pennies on the dollar. Now, the twist would be this....

He runs every aspect of the company but the finances and decides to build to order - and - nearly ONLY factory direct sales. He could kill the market. I would be ALL OVER THAT and would tell you that I would call him in the morning and be a part of it by noon. That scenario is a winner.

ttuton 12-09-2010 05:53 PM

Nail on the Head, DOLLA.

DollaBill 12-09-2010 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by ttuton (Post 3270876)
Nail on the Head, DOLLA.

Thanks, contrary to belief in the Baja forum... I know a few things about the marine biz. I'll call RMF at home the minute he goes this direction. Everyones main gripe is the price of new boats. So what if a new 42 w/ 700's copuld sell for $199,900? and what if you could get into a 35X for $89,900 with 0% financing for 72 months? See what Im saying?

4bus 12-09-2010 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Marginmn (Post 3270409)
That is a different Bill Gates. The Bill Gates who is currently running Fountain may own a Microsoft based computer but he doesn't own Microsoft Corp.

I laugh every time someone assumes that the multi billion dollar Bill Gates invested in a powerboat company.

But one has to wonder what it would be like to go to Best Buy and pick up a 35 fountian for $899.00, then have it not start because you picked up a virus on the water.

Bullhead 12-09-2010 07:18 PM

For me it is somewhat disheartening to see (and some may disagree with me) the most recognizable icon in the performance boating industry in a position where he may well be ousted from the company that he created. Without question he made mistakes, but most of us do in business. Having had the opportunity to have had several candid conversations with Reggie I can tell you he truly wanted to build his customers the best performing boats in the world. He absolutely believes that what wins on Sunday sells on Monday and it would be hard to deny the benefit that all of us received, in some form or fashion, from the fortune he spent on R&D to win on Sunday. I have also had the opportunity to meet and chat with the so called "bean counters" who are now in charge. It is obvious that they have a passion for boat building but certainly plan to move forward in a fiscally responsible manner. It will be a shame if the two parties cannot come to terms IMO.

DollaBill 12-09-2010 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bullhead (Post 3270932)
For me it is somewhat disheartening to see (and some may disagree with me) the most recognizable icon in the performance boating industry in a position where he may well be ousted from the company that he created. Without question he made mistakes, but most of us do in business. Having had the opportunity to have had several candid conversations with Reggie I can tell you he truly wanted to build his customers the best performing boats in the world. He absolutely believes that what wins on Sunday sells on Monday and it would be hard to deny the benefit that all of us received, in some form or fashion, from the fortune he spent on R&D to win on Sunday. I have also had the opportunity to meet and chat with the so called "bean counters" who are now in charge. It is obvious that they have a passion for boat building but certainly plan to move forward in a fiscally responsible manner. It will be a shame if the two parties cannot come to terms IMO.

I may be wrong but I dont see any passion for boat building with the new guys..

Many of us, as business owners etc, have made mistakes. My saying is make many small mistakes but get a few big things right in life. Thats the formula. If you ever spent any real time with Reggie you would be knocked over at his passion for fast boats. I've spent countless hours at the factory, at dinner, with customers, at the factory and hanging around the office with this man and there are only 2 things Mr. Fountain thinks about 23 hrs a day....... FAST BOATS and beautiful women. That simple.

That passion can't be re-created because the numbers look good. Say what you want but I'll always back him. And, for the record, the new guys made a FATAL mistake by not having him sign a non-compete before the deal. It's over for them if they dont work with Mr. Fountain.

thisistank 12-09-2010 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by DollaBill (Post 3270944)

Many of us, as business owners etc, have made mistakes. My saying is make many small mistakes but get a few big things right in life. Thats the formula.

When do you start getting things right? :eek::evilb::evilb::drink:

DollaBill 12-09-2010 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by thisistank (Post 3270983)
When do you start getting things right? :eek::evilb::evilb::drink:

now that made me LOL. Sad but true.

LapseofReason 12-09-2010 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by DollaBill (Post 3270878)
Thanks, contrary to belief in the Baja forum... I know a few things about the marine biz. I'll call RMF at home the minute he goes this direction. Everyones main gripe is the price of new boats. So what if a new 42 w/ 700's copuld sell for $199,900? and what if you could get into a 35X for $89,900 with 0% financing for 72 months? See what Im saying?

But wont that just be a kick in the nuts to the recent Fountain buyers ? If I bought a 2011 42 with 700's all loaded up for whatever they sell for 500k? then the new Reggie wave smasher 42 comes out at 300k less than I spent, now whats mine worth 80-90k a year later.

I know alot people would never buy one again if that happened, you would have to hope for alot of new buyers.